User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Rules on Unloading Trucks

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I'm not even a trucker. But I do have a question about what a company is responsible for when a driver shows up with a load. Is there any "Regulations" on what the driver is responsible for and what the receiving company is responsible for. What I'm looking for, is should the driver be the one in the trailer moving things around to get the shipment out so it's accessible with a fork lift. Should the company be allowing the driver to use company owned pallet jacks to move shipments around. If a company has a loading dock is it required to drive on to tailers or can the company request that the shipment be brought to the edge, Currently our facility does not have a loading dock but we are moving to a facility that does but it does not employ the use of nose jacks or trailer locks. Is there a regulation, or a code on this type of thing, or are there general rules that are followed. Any help I could get on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Board Icon

Nope - no FMCSA regs that relate to that.

However, there may be some OSHA reg that addresses it - I'm not sure.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Unloading

I'm going with the Rev, check Fed and state OSHA regs to cover safety concerns. BOLs may state whether load is driver or receiver unload and count.
Some recievers won't allow drivers on their docks due to their insurer.
Another good reason to pull flatbed. BOL
Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

"generally" it is the truck driver/companies responsibility to get the freight to the back of the trailer. This doesn't mean the driver should have a pallet jack handy.

On the flip side, I'm canadian, and I cannot unload past the end of the trailer. Doing this violates immigration laws(I'm stealing a job from an illegal mexican, I mean American).
Old 11-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

The only thing the FMSCA regs really say about driver load/unload is that the shipper or reciever can not require a driver to load/unload the truck unless they have made payment for their services.

Now that payment can be made to the trucking company a driver works for and whether or not the company actually pays the driver is another matter.