User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree that the puplic is not educated on how to interact with trucks ATALL from what I can tell. I cannot imagine why. It is a disgrace that POV drivers can be dangerous as hell and we get blamed for their idiocy bacause were the professionals. Whenever a car moes over infront of me too close Ill blow my horn or flash my lights but it seems that they rarely care...so why do we have to get high blood-pressure about it??? If i get blamed for something like that I wont take it without vaseline- Ill take it to court like every driver should. :evil:
Whatever happened to 'all are equal under the law'? Its discrimination and we need to do something about it!
Old 10-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Michigan has a Done a pretty major TV Campaign informing the Public on what a drivers vision is, and the limits, through the mirrors.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Board Icon

My personal opinion is, that it has less to do with how well the info has been made available, and more to do with the rest of the motoring public not really giving a crap.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
My personal opinion is, that it has less to do with how well the info has been made available, and more to do with the rest of the motoring public not really giving a crap.
Well, considering his silence, it looks to be like Myth_Buster leans toward the ranks of the general motoring public. I thought I was asking legitimate questions. I get to deal with things like that quite often and see them as part of the problem with safety.

I remember, in my teen years, I would be reading the newspaper and see where every now and then, someone locally would be stopped, cited, and pay a fine for not using a turn signal to turn or change lanes. Today, the Police don't use them at all, so how are they going to enforce the law with the general public? Myth_Buster's silence does not speak well for DOT or FMCSA.

Maybe we all really do need ot walk off the job until DOT agrees to get to the ROOT of the problem with safety, not just sit at their desks, tugging at the leaves, and patting themselves on the shoulders for the good job they are doing at defoliating the stems. It's DOT's job to give the public the incentive to care, and if they don't give a crap, what are we left with?

Old 10-22-2006, 03:15 AM

I think it was back in the late 60's the state changed the law about turn signals in Fla. here---no longer needed for changeing lanes. Dumb move! :?: How about if I had a sign made for my trailer that stated what my stopping distance really is, could I post it on my trailer ok? And I agree with the un-knowing public part, they don't know it's gonna take 300+ feet at 55mph on a rrrreal good day and road. I think trucks need alot of improvement in the brakes!!! It's been like this for 30 or 40 years. The DOT shud be blamed as all they have done is squeeze the driver and owners harder and harder!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Board Icon

Seems just a bit odd to me. Myth_Buster came on here like a "HUMAN COMPUTER" with a PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY, listing rules and regs. Now, his silence is DEAFENING. I don't know if it's because he doesn't have any of the answers (I'd accept "I don't know" for an answer if that's the truth), or if answering my questions are beneath his dignity. Like my questions don't deserve to be answered.

When I worked in a factory, I was a "shift supervisor" and worked anywhere from 10 to 20 hours a day. No matter how tired I was, if a customer called with a question, IT HAD TO BE ANSWERED. Not to answer it could mean losing the customer. FMCSA and DOT have a "CAPTIVE AUDIENCE"... US..... If his silence is a matter of attitude, and reflects the attitude of both agencies, we could all be in very serious trouble. I'm sure he's had time to come to the boards and read... Even answer if he wanted to. Instead, all we get is silence...
WHY?.....

Old 10-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

My guess is that he had enough pretty quick with a handful of people on here.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Seems just a bit odd to me. Myth_Buster came on here like a "HUMAN COMPUTER" with a PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY, listing rules and regs. Now, his silence is DEAFENING. I don't know if it's because he doesn't have any of the answers (I'd accept "I don't know" for an answer if that's the truth), or if answering my questions are beneath his dignity. Like my questions don't deserve to be answered.

When I worked in a factory, I was a "shift supervisor" and worked anywhere from 10 to 20 hours a day. No matter how tired I was, if a customer called with a question, IT HAD TO BE ANSWERED. Not to answer it could mean losing the customer. FMCSA and DOT have a "CAPTIVE AUDIENCE"... US..... If his silence is a matter of attitude, and reflects the attitude of both agencies, we could all be in very serious trouble. I'm sure he's had time to come to the boards and read... Even answer if he wanted to. Instead, all we get is silence...
WHY?.....
His "Photographic Memory" was his copy and paste jobs with the Regs and when some of us who have actually driven for quite awhile picked up on some of his Falacies his ego couldn't handle it.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
My guess is that he had enough pretty quick with a handful of people on here.
He is still going at it over on Trucknet. I'm taking issue with him over there as well (on the split sleeper provision).
Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Board Regular
Default Washington State has a campaign . .

. . dealing with following distance and four wheelers cutting off trucks after they've passed them. I looked but couldn't find an example of the signs on the WADOT website. The program began after a few DOT/WSP officers actually spent time riding with truckers and were amazed by what they saw.

As far as the "NO-ZONE" goes, if you think 4 wheelers are passing time reading trailer doors, I suspect you're mistaken. With the number of warnings on trailer doors and mudflaps, how could anyone not know not to pass a truck on the right hand side, particularly at a corner? The number 1 cause of preventables at my company is right hand turns.

You have to remember, we are not on equal footing with the general motoring public. Our standard is (supposed to be) much higher and that's the way the courts treat it.