User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Preventable or Non Preventable? Help!

Major accident here in Atlanta last week. 2 trucks collided, flames, 285 shut down and traffic diverted. Husband was driving. Went to cross some tracks and did not hit tracks or anything. Here is the problem. He had a lift gate on the back of his truck which has some sort of box under the rear by the gate. The road surface itself was graded improperly. I know this sounds weird but the best way to describe it is like the road came up and hit the box. It was the road surface itself. He did not hit a fixed object. There was not a pothole or anything. It was the grading of the asphalt. Some trucks made it fine. Right after his box hit a bed bugger got stuck there and he had nothing hanging down like my husband did. It wasn't even like a huge visible lump in the road or anything. Just weird grading. Anyway, now the company is saying the accident was preventable. My husband talked to a Georgia DOT training officer afterward and he said it was non preventable. Is it? How can my husband prove it? They want to put this on his record and suspend him for it.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Sounds like something that happened to me once in Nogales, Az. when I went there to pick up produce.
To get into the Whse. you have to cross tracks and it was a pretty big inverted V to cross them. I had my Dollies cranked up as far as they would go and my dollies hit the tracks and I was going Super Slow.

If I'm understanding you correctly if I was Safety Officer with the Company I wouldn't give him a chargeable for sure and Preventable would be Doubtful.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Well I guess it had something to do with the level of the road. When you approached the crossing you were fine and your landing gear wouldn't hit. The way the road after was sloped and with the length of a truck, it would cause your underside to hit. If it were a four wheeler, it wouldn't have hit. It was like the truck bottomed out.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Board Icon

Those are the types of Crossings I'm talking about.
Not engineered with Trucks in Mind
Old 10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

There may be no way to prove it was non preventable in the company's eyes. Some companies take the view that all accidents are preventable unless you are legally parked and out of the truck when it occurs.

Your only hope would be to find out if the road taken was a legitimate truck route and if it was not then get a police statement saying trucks were made to take the detour. Another possible way would be to get a statement from the city saying the road is/was not graded properly at that crossing and that it was not marked for low clearance trucks to use caution.

I would not hold your breath either way.

Also if this is the only incident your husband has had in the last 3 years I would not worry too much about it. Just be sure to list it on any future driving job applications.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Board Icon

I'm a bedbugger, and if I got stuck on a railroad crossing, you better believe it would be considered a preventable. It is up to the driver to know how his equipment is positioned in relation to the road, and where it is at all times.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I'm a bedbugger, and if I got stuck on a railroad crossing, you better believe it would be considered a preventable. It is up to the driver to know how his equipment is positioned in relation to the road, and where it is at all times.
That's a pretty flip and Holier than Thou answer and She NEVER said he got Stuck on the Crossing.
Some of the Crossings in the Western States are like this one-Also one in Ohio at a "Former" Mead Corp. Plant. I think it was Chillicothe(sp).
Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Rookie

Well thank you for coming to my defense on that one. In hindsight, isn't it always easy to say what we would have done in someone else's shoes?

I am talking about a major truck accident (my husband isn't the only one out there having them) between 2 trucks that set a major fire, killing several people. He was diverted and wasn't familiar with that road. As well, he only knocked off his lift box or whatever. The bed-bugger got stuck and many others prior to and after apparently had similar problems and all without seeing the situation.

I have seen many accidents where the drivers simply weren't paying attention (like 2 swiftys in a head on in a truck stop parking lot at low speed). However, I think his company is just screwing him here. All accidents can't be preventable or the words non preventable wouldn't exist. I am just wondering what constitutes non preventable and is there anything in writing anywhere that I can get my hands on that deals with grading of asphalt or road grading and preventability. I know that had he hit the rails it would have been preventable but this is crap.

Also, just found out the safety is on vacation and he got the paper today saying preventable. Well how did he go to the location and make the determination (supposedly their policy) while he is on the beach or wherever?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw
Well thank you for coming to my defense on that one. In hindsight, isn't it always easy to say what we would have done in someone else's shoes?

I am talking about a major truck accident (my husband isn't the only one out there having them) between 2 trucks that set a major fire, killing several people. He was diverted and wasn't familiar with that road. As well, he only knocked off his lift box or whatever. The bed-bugger got stuck and many others prior to and after apparently had similar problems and all without seeing the situation.

I have seen many accidents where the drivers simply weren't paying attention (like 2 swiftys in a head on in a truck stop parking lot at low speed). However, I think his company is just screwing him here. All accidents can't be preventable or the words non preventable wouldn't exist. I am just wondering what constitutes non preventable and is there anything in writing anywhere that I can get my hands on that deals with grading of asphalt or road grading and preventability. I know that had he hit the rails it would have been preventable but this is crap.

Also, just found out the safety is on vacation and he got the paper today saying preventable. Well how did he go to the location and make the determination (supposedly their policy) while he is on the beach or wherever?
Sorry to hear that-But Unfortunately some companies like to throw stuff like that at them without Investigating.
Not telling you what to do but if it was ME I'd ask for a Face to Face with the Head of your Safety Dept.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
That's a pretty flip and Holier than Thou answer
No, I was just quoting the company policy for the carrier I pull for.

If I get my belly box stuck on ANY crossing, that is grounds for immediate cancellation of my contract.

Just like if I lose a trailer off my 5th wheel, no matter what the reason.