User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default MVR inaccuracy

Here's a good one:

November 4, 2005. I have bad directions to Del Monte in Pittsburgh, PA. I end up on route 28, way out of Pittsburgh. I turn around in a dollar general parking lot. Bad idea. I drove right by the mayor's house and he has a township cop pulling me over within 2 minutes. I was cited for failure to obey traffic control devices, since he was not a DOT cop he had no way of writing me an overweight ticket. 40 tons on a 10 ton road. I pled guilty, mailed in the citation, company was nice enough to pay the fine and I thought it was over and done with. If you are familiar with PA's points system, this is a no-points violation, unlike speeding or something more serious.

I get my insurance renewal in the mail today and am informed my payments jumped $50 a month because of a failure to obey police authority conviction on November 4, 2005. Long story short, I call PennDOT, who says call the district court. I call the district court who tells me I was not charged or convicted of any such thing and PennDOT messed up. I call PennDOT again and am told I indeed have points on my MVR but they are not allowed to tell me why and I have to write a letter requesting my points history and then dispute it. I explain I have not been convicted of any points violations in a long time. They offer no assistance. So I fire off a letter to PennDOT, but am still pissed in the meantime :x

So does USIS (formerly the dreaded DAC) have a record of this inaccuracy, and do they have any power to change it? My company does not care. But if I should change jobs, this would show up. I have a feeling it is going to be easier to invent a working time machine and go back in time and not get lost than it is to get my MVR changed.

In summary: PennDOT can report to your insurer and your employer that you were convicted of a violation that never happened, and your insurer can surcharge your policy because of this conviction that never happened, but no one can offer any help to change it.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

DAC won't change it until you provide them Proof.
Once you get this whole thing cleared up send registered letter to DAC-KEEP a copy or the Original.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:45 PM

i don't think that DAC controls what's on your MVR - the MVR is generated from the state requested (ie, when the NJ gov't had their shutting-down-the-government hullabaloo a few months ago, we couldn't get any MVR's back from them until they re-opened up shop).

now if penndot reported it to your employer, it may show up, but probably not. transportation histories don't usually show tickets, just (preventable & non-) accidents/incidents - lane change/sidewipes, overturns, hitting animals, etc.

[edited to make slightly more sense]
Old 08-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I suggest writing a letter, as they suggest. In the mean time, you can write a letter to be placed in your DAC. It would be best to follow their procedures. There is no reason to but your head against the wall.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Got everything ironed out... PennDOT could tell me nothing on the first 4 calls, but on the 5th call verified I have no points on my MVR. The error was on the insurance company's end. I sent their underwriters several nasty letters, received no response, then cancelled.

DO NOT do business with Safe Auto. I am considering filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner since they tried to defraud me.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Rookie

When it comes to MVRs, usually USIS can't change that, although they will investigate it on your behalf if that state allows it. Some states don't, and since Pennsylvania is one of the most restrictive states regarding MVR information, it would be easier for the driver to make the dispute.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM

safe auto has a reputation of being a stop gap insurance company. Something you get just so you have insurance, not anything that's useful.