User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I used to not mind fudging things to get the job done. But after hearing of what happened to a few other fellows I now make sure that at all times while on the road that my butt is covered. I heard of a fellow in Portland that was out of hours driving along, minding his own business when an 80 yrs old guy comes flying across the median and hits him head-on. Guess who's fault that was. You think you can make it fine, but other people can mess things up on you.
The other fellow was right too, about running your own way. The dispatchers will push a new guy to see how hard you like to run, but if you push back and say no when appropriate, then they know who they can run hard and who they have to run legal. They don't care if you get caught. They'll just say you were running against company policy, and get another new guy, after all in their view, drivers are a dime a dozen.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 AM

Stupid is as stupid does:

Quote:
By doing this..it puts him a day ahead of his logs........Well he ended up waiting until the next morning because by the time he got there it was too late.
So IOW, he could have driven legal and got there at the same time.

Carriers and drivers face penalties after the fact for fudging their logs. Falsification of log books is the prime reason why electronic logs are on the proposed rule making circuit.

What drivers forget is there is a ton of documentation retained by their employer for tax purposes and the US DOT. The FMCSR requires carriers to keep their logs for at least six months under Part 395 and for three years under Part 379 See Section K Supporting Documents.

There are three methods of falsification cited by the FMCSA:

1. Nominal = Driver purchased fuel but didn't log fueling time.

2. Critical = One hour or 50 miles, i.e. Shortest distance from Chicago to Saint Louis is 300 miles requiring 5.25 hours of driving time, driver logs the run in 4.25 hours.

3. Deliberate = Driver hid an hours of service violation, i.e. Driver drove for 13 hours and logged 11 hours

When the FMCSA performs a compliance review it takes days, weeks, or months to complete the review based on the carrier's operation. Everything is checked and cross referenced: D & A, HM, HOS, DQ, Maintenance, etc. The carrier has to pull out moutains of documentation to be examined. The motor carrier receives one of three ratings:

1. Satisfactory
2. Conditional
3. Unsatisfactory

Numbers 2 & 3 can cost a carrier their business, customers, raised or dropped insurance, or all of the above. Not to mention additional scrutiny by the FMCSA.

When drivers have accidents when they are in violation of the HOS they face criminal charges for neglegance, i.e. driver was out of hours at 3:00 PM and has an accident at 4:00 PM. Judges and prosecuting attorneys are using the space time continuim i.e if the driver had stopped when required the accident would have never occurred.

I know of three drivers charged with either manslaughter or 2nd degree murder now spending hard time or facing hard time. Attorney fees, loss of work, media attention, etc. can ruin a driver's life regardless of the outcome of the trial.

Folks please weigh your decisions carefully, it only takes one accident to ruin a life. False logs are easy to detect when there is a mountain of supporting documents. Don't keep the supporting document? The carrier can be cited and have their safety rating reduced to a Conditional or Unsatisfactory. Modify the document, i.e. cover the time? Face criminal charges and adminstrative penalties for Part 390.35.

Be safe.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Board Regular
Default good luck

good luck
Old 09-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Scared wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
I had a mudflap off and in the Kansas City, MO area DOT specilizes in stopping big rigs 2 ticket them lately and I refused 2 move and had already had it repaired and as the man was repairring it i was calling the company 2 get it authorized, idiot on other side asked me why i had it repaired right on the site instead of driving 2 a truck stop 5 miles away???? stupid! it did not cost company any more 2 have caravan fix it then it does 2 get it done at a truck stop! duh!

Caravan must have changed it's policy. Last time I used them they charged $35 plus mileage for a road call. Plus parts and labor for the repair.

kc0iv
Old 06-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Companies will try to get you to run illegal, but in the end, the driver is the one who makes that choice and the trucking companies love to wash their hands of it while profiting. Running illegal can be very bad, if something serious had happened it could have turned from a not at fault accident into JAIL. If a driver gets delayed while loading, he could make the choice to claim on the log that he took his 10 hour break and run with it wether he got rest or not, thats no big deal (if he is able) as long as the load doesnt require him to count or load, then if something happens the question will be asked wether he was loading/counting or in the bunk. If he claimed he was in the bunk on the logs, but it can be proven he wasnt..........
Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey One, why are you answering post that are 2 yrs. old????