User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that IN and IL don't have "M" endorsements with all the metal coils that I've seen dumped alongside the hiway in Gary and Chicago. Sometimes they get to looking like some kind of flexible air-duct a half mile long.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_2614
I am currently living in Toronto Canada and moving to houston texas next week. I have a question ,How can I get these endorsements.Do i have to go to school to get it or just go to DOT to apply for it?
Thanks for your time guys.
I'm not sure about Texas, but most states, if you take all your written test at once, only charge you one fee... Take them seperately and you pay each time... So get a CDL book on your way down and freshen up to do all your test at once....

Chip
Old 07-20-2006, 08:02 PM

Rev.Vassago

Quote:
H. Any vehicle used to transport hazardous materials in placardable amounts.
N. A tank vehicle designed to transport any liquid or gaseous material with designed capacity of 1,000 gallons or more.
P. Any vehicles, public or private, designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver
S. A commercial motor vehicle (requires CDL) used to transport pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events. Does not include a bus used as a common carrier.
T. Combination vehicles with double/triple trailers
X. Any tank vehicle used to transport placardable amounts of hazardous materials
Not quite, the ?N? endorsement is required any time a cargo tank vehicle meets the definition of a bulk package in Part 171.8:

Quote:
?383.93 Endorsements.

(b)(3) Tank vehicles;

?383.5 Definitions.

Tank vehicle
means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, cargo tanks and portable tanks, as defined in Part 171 of this title. However, this definition does not include portable tanks having a rated capacity under 1,000 gallons.
No mention of CARGO TANKS under 1,000 gallons:

Quote:
?171.8 Definitions and abbreviations.

Bulk packaging
means a packaging, other than a vessel or a barge, including a transport vehicle or freight container, in which hazardous materials are loaded with no intermediate form of containment and which has:

(1) A maximum capacity greater than 450 L (119 gallons) as a receptacle for a liquid;

(2) A maximum net mass greater than 400 kg (882 pounds) and a maximum capacity greater than 450 L (119 gallons) as a receptacle for a solid; or

(3) A water capacity greater than 454 kg (1000 pounds) as a receptacle for a gas as defined in ? 173.115 of this subchapter.

Cargo tank means a bulk packaging that:

(1) Is a tank intended primarily for the carriage of liquids or gases and includes appurtenances, reinforcements, fittings, and closures (for the definition of a tank, see 49 CFR 178.320 , 178.337-1 , or 178.338-1 , as applicable);

(2) Is permanently attached to or forms a part of a motor vehicle, or is not permanently attached to a motor vehicle but which, by reason of its size, construction or attachment to a motor vehicle is loaded or unloaded without being removed from the motor vehicle; and

(3) Is not fabricated under a specification for cylinders, intermediate bulk containers, multi-unit tank car tanks, portable tanks, or tank cars.

Cargo tank motor vehicle means a motor vehicle with one or more cargo tanks permanently attached to or forming an integral part of the motor vehicle.

Portable tank means a bulk packaging (except a cylinder having a water capacity of 1000 pounds or less) designed primarily to be loaded onto, or on, or temporarily attached to a transport vehicle or ship and equipped with skids, mountings, or accessories to facilitate handling of the tank by mechanical means. It does not include a cargo tank, tank car, multi-unit tank car tank, or trailer carrying 3AX, 3AAX, or 3T cylinders.
Once a driver is required to have a CDL to drive a particular vehicle, an ?N? (tank) endorsement would be required for a bulk cargo tank mounted to the vehicle. A tank becomes a cargo tank if by design or affixing the tank the person fills and empties the tank while it?s mounted to the vehicle, i.e. horizontal borers use a 350 gallon water tank for cooling and washing equipment in the field. If the vehicle required a CDL then an ?N? endorsement would be required for the 350 gallon cargo tank mounted to the vehicle.

SteveBooth

Quote:
A person with a CDL/A license cannot drive a bus with passengers unless they pass a written test. Driving test also unless they have a CDL/A already.
Unless a bus has a trailer with a 10,001 pound GVWR or more attached the bus driver would be required to have a Class ?B? CDL with a ?P? or ?SB? endorsement as appropriate.

Quote:
?383.91 Commercial motor vehicle groups.

(a) Vehicle group descriptions.
Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, described in subpart G of this part, for the commercial motor vehicle group(s) for which he/she desires a CDL. The commercial motor vehicle groups are as follows:

(a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A) ? Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

(a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) ? Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

(a)(3) Small Vehicle (Group C) ? Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).
Windwalker

Quote:
I'm surprised that IN and IL don't have "M" endorsements with all the metal coils that I've seen dumped alongside the hiway in Gary and Chicago. Sometimes they get to looking like some kind of flexible air-duct a half mile long.
IL has an ?M?, it?s for motorcycles. :wink:

One final note, there is no ?Air Brake? endorsement. However, there is an ?Air Brake? restriction.

Be safe.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:36 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Rev.Vassago
H. Any vehicle used to transport hazardous materials in placardable amounts.
N. A tank vehicle designed to transport any liquid or gaseous material with designed capacity of 1,000 gallons or more.
P. Any vehicles, public or private, designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver
S. A commercial motor vehicle (requires CDL) used to transport pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events. Does not include a bus used as a common carrier.
T. Combination vehicles with double/triple trailers
X. Any tank vehicle used to transport placardable amounts of hazardous materials
So,if for some unknown reason I ever decide to haul fuel,etc,would I need the N and X or just the X? I assume that the N is non-hazmat tanker,and the X is hazmat tanker? If ya haul water :lol: or any other non-hazmat tanker,and ya start hauling fuel,you have to get the X? Would the X work for the non-hazmat as well as the hazmat? I wouldnt wanna be a rollin refinery,but I was just curious..
Old 07-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You will be required to take a written test for your endorsements the first time. You will be required to take the hazmat test every time you renew your CDL. You will also be required to pay for a background check before most states will issue the endorsement.
In Ohio (yes, Ohio, leave me alone you anti-Buckeye freaks!), you have to get your hazmat (via retesting) every 2 years and the CDL WITHOUT hazmat renews every 4 years. I didn't want to pay the extra money for nothing. So now I am only endorsed for doubles and tankers. Neither of which do I haul .
Old 07-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Default in mass.

mine says A M TPX..that's class a, motorcycle, tanker, hazmat, passenger, doubles-triples.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:52 PM

bentwheeler

Quote:
IOW, if I get a CDL class A, I understand air brakes is included (because one cannot get class A without it).
Not so, there are vehicles that require a Class A CDL that do not have air brakes. The driver is then issues a Class A CDL with an ?Air Brake Restriction.?

Rev.Vassago offered:

Quote:
The ?S? is a school bus endorsement. A ?P? endorsement is required for any vehicle that transports 16 or more passengers including the driver.

Quote:
Jackrabbit379:

Quote:
So,if for some unknown reason I ever decide to haul fuel,etc,would I need the N and X or just the X? I assume that the N is non-hazmat tanker,and the X is hazmat tanker? If ya haul water or any other non-hazmat tanker,and ya start hauling fuel,you have to get the X? Would the X work for the non-hazmat as well as the hazmat? I wouldnt wanna be a rollin refinery,but I was just curious..
The ?X? is used to reduce the number of endorsements; an ?X? is the same as a ?H? hazmat and ?N? tanker. Some states still use the ?H? and ?N? separately.

Be safe.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Illinois Endorsements

You must obtain endorsements to the CDL to operate commercial motor vehicles, which are:

(T)Double/triple trailers - knowledge test

(P)Passenger carrying vehicles - knowledge test and skills test

(N)Tank Vehicles - knowledge test

(H)Any vehicle carrying hazardous materials which requires placarding - knowledge test

(X)Combination tank vehicle and hazardous materials endorsement - knowledge test

(C)Charter Bus - Knowledge Test

(S)School bus - Knowledge test and skills test

Also whoever said the "M" in Illinois was for motorcycles didn't clarify that it isn't an endorsement, it's the class of the license.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Board Icon