Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   From desk to own authority part 3 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/30303-desk-own-authority-part-3-a.html)

Orangetxguy 12-21-2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aubie2
Quote:

As for the hookers, I'm at the T/A in Montgomery Al and it looked like it was full so I pulled into a lot next door and mid afternoon already two hookers and some guy selling jewerlyat my door. One was actually very pretty and in a nice car but looked like she had a crackhead in the car with her. What drugs will make a person do. I said the hell with this and found a spot at the T/A

Not much better. :shock: :shock:

Actually I was talking to the first one and I asked her why she doesn't go over to the T/A instead of standing in that parking lot with only two trucks. She said no way, that they run her out of there. Hence my decision to come over here.

I spent last night at the Hook south of Montgomery. Much quieter environment out at Tyson.

You aren't lying. This place is the worst area I think I have ever stopped at. And I have been in areas that are supposedly bad. On top of that I can't understand a word anyone says. They don't understand me either. I just went to get something to eat and between me and the girl at the counter, we must have asked eachother "what" 50 times. I should have stayed at the Flying J 10 miles south.

That's the one I was talkin about..left there at 5 this morning.

merrick4 12-21-2007 03:28 AM

Oh sorry Stan :oops: This is the first time I have been in this area, I don't know what the Hook is or where Tyson is.

12-21-2007 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootie04
steve....You can get by without chaining up sometimes BUT wait till you come up on the interstate shut down and a guys in the middle of the road with flashlights (if at night) checking for your chains.

That's why everyone agreed to run the whole highway side by side, 3 lanes. Nobody chained up including UPS and FedX. DOT was out but there was nothing they could do. It took me about 1/2 an hour before I got my turn to get on the highway there was so many trucks. There was no reason for chains when they opened the road up again. It was plowed, sanded and salted and down to bare pavement.

Scoe 12-22-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootie04
steve....You can get by without chaining up sometimes BUT wait till you come up on the interstate shut down and a guys in the middle of the road with flashlights (if at night) checking for your chains.

In CA they have a booth they put in the middle of the road and check for chains.

Hopefully we wont have to chain up on 26 tomorrow to get to Portland. We have a stop in Bend tomorrow before 3pm

Be safe

tootie

Tootie, if you don't want to chain up over 26 from Bend try this. Take 97 North all the way to 197 North, this will drop you off in The Dalles at I-84, or as Steve likes to call it I-80, then take 84 West all the way to Portland.

I've done this a handful of times when things were really bad going over Government Camp and I didn't want to take a chance on the highway being shut down or somebody sliding into me. :shock:

12-22-2007 07:33 AM

Oops, I meant to say I-80+4

Still a little dicey in the hammer lane on I-84 in Utah through the mountains. Need to be patient and wait for a good area when your trying to pass a triple going slow.

I tell ya, out in the middle of nowhere and a broadband connection!!!

Orange Andy 12-24-2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

I've done this a handful of times when things were really bad going over Government Camp and I didn't want to take a chance on the highway being shut down or somebody sliding into me. :shock:
A few weeks ago, I was up there west on 84 one afternoon, snowing hard, and a few guys just barreled on past us without chains. Things were going fine for them until they reached Meacham summit and had their hands full going down that 6% grade and around the turn with no shoulder. One guy slid off the road and looked about ready to tip over if he farted, and the other was going about 6mph down that 6mile stretch of ice. We un-chained and they were still behind us.

12-24-2007 03:36 AM

I was in Rawlins Wy and the wind started. It was 65 steady. I stopped to take a nap and when I woke up it was even worse. I parked on the street in front of the truck stop which is the access road to the prison. When I woke up the whole lot was in grid lock with lots of trucks stuck in there. They had a cop at the entry ramp going East and only 30K plus loads were allowed to leave. I was 47k+.

Didn't go to far and they said it was gusting 80+ and they shut us down right there. I wasn't affected that much since my load is only about 1 1/2 feet tall. It was pretty cool driving along and just an absolute whiteout.

Smooth sailing now and just cruising along doing about 500 a day since I don't deliver until the day after Xmas. Pick up another load right after I drop off then head home for a bit.

tootie04 12-24-2007 02:45 PM

Been there....done that....

at least you didnt have to unload in those conditions!! :shock:

Be careful and stay warm talk to ya later

tootie

12-24-2007 03:13 PM

I'm at the IOWA80 truck stop and not many people here. It's 20 degrees outside and some stupid girl is on the CB trying to sell popcycles!!! If she had a brain she would be selling hot chocolate instead.

Jackrabbit379 12-24-2007 03:22 PM

Popcicles was just a sales pitch. She was wanting a different kind of popcicle. :P :lol: