User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2017, 05:05 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ready to make the leap... sort of

Has anyone got a total of the current costs for getting your own DOT authority? I know the insurance costs are going to vary, but there's lots of fixed costs, I am guessing, that shouldn't vary much from state to state (going for the $1M package, by the way, rather than the minimum $750k).

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltVoyager View Post
Has anyone got a total of the current costs for getting your own DOT authority? I know the insurance costs are going to vary, but there's lots of fixed costs, I am guessing, that shouldn't vary much from state to state (going for the $1M package, by the way, rather than the minimum $750k).

Thanks for any help.
That all depends on the state. However there are several constant costs across all states. What state are you in? Check out Get Your Operating Authority - DAT. There are are also several companies that can help get you set up with you own authority. I work with one that can help you through this process. I do have a question for you though? Are you going to get loads yourself or are you going to go through a company?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Doing that for myself by establishing a relationship with some brokers that aren't going to load me up with sucky freight. And, by the way... the answer to my question is approximately $5500, though as you say, it will vary some. It could be up to $3000 less if you won't be running Oregon, though, because OR requires a $2500 bond for permit. Got these figures in one package from DAT.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:54 PM

I forgot to mention.... that doesn't include the insurance. That is going to be somewhere in the near vicinity of $16,000. And, I used the maximum figures I got from DAT. That accounts for the extra $500 variance between the Oregon bond and the $3000 figure.