User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Firebird .... I seen in some previous post that you had a line on a pete 379 with a cat in it. Did you ever buy it? What happened to the truck if you didn't ?
Old 01-21-2016, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006 View Post
Firebird a Detroit Diesel if you can find one for sale as the drivers have one will not be willing to let them go. A pre 2000 Detroit 500 hp setup with a 13 speed and 3.55 gears will get you between 8 MPG cruising down the highway at 70 MPH how do I know this I was a test truck driver at my last fleet testing the 14 Liter Detroit that was setup for 665 HP 2250 Ft Lbs of torque and and I was getting 7 MPG out west running 75 across I-80 for days at a time. MY idle time was high at about 40% as if I was not moving I was running the truck also due to I had a Beagle with me and I was not going to let her be in a hot truck at anytime if I was taking a shower or eating. Yet I was still getting 7 MPG pump to Pump on the Mileage run not the ECM of the truck it was showing 7.6

The one weakness of the Detroit is that bull gear setup however by now anyone that has one more than likely has upgraded the gear.
if the truck was the right price id consider a Detroit. I've seen mixed reviews for fuel milage with them though. talked to a few people where my cat gets better then theirs.i also want something that will run though the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
Firebird .... I seen in some previous post that you had a line on a pete 379 with a cat in it. Did you ever buy it? What happened to the truck if you didn't ?
I see the truck all the time. its my customers truck. he decided to keep it and is currently rewiring it. its a 2000 anyway.

called about one in NC the other day need to follow up on it. they're selling it cheap due to a "sketchy" overhaul. I asked what they ment by that and they said its because it was overhauled but not by cummins..

my first choice will always be cat. I've got nothing but amazing luck with mine. 500k on a overhaul I beat the hell out of it bad and she don't hiccup, burns MAYBE a half a gallon of oil every 15k.she's a bit down on power now between the winter fuel and its about 80k away from getting the overhead run (I do it every 250k )