User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ready to buy my own tractor - please advise

Hi, just turned 27 and been driving for a couple years now. Started out with local flatbed hauling steel and recently started LTL dry van as an hourly company driver. We also have owner/operators and a port division and those guys are pulling in about $400-$600 a day while I'm making $850-1,000 a week. Granted I don't have to worry about maintaining the truck but I feel it's worth the risk and I've now got the money to buy a used one cash. Not looking to spend more than $60,000 unless it's nice and would prefer a 2010+ (CA) tandem day cab. One of the local Penske shops has a 2011 Volvo with a D13 10 spd and only 100k on it for a little over 60k. Is it worth looking at these trucks? I know the drivers (I drive some lease trucks sometimes but try to treat them good) treat them rough a lot so what do you guys think? Penske Used Trucks Unit 598586 2011 Volvo VNL64T300 | eBay

I've been told to look at Freightliner Cascadia's as a good first truck because they're affordable and decent quality. I've driven them lots and I like them.

Thanks.

Last edited by bp88; 11-15-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 AM
Rookie

Penske Used Trucks Unit 570343 2010 International Prostar | eBay

What about the ProStar's with the Cummins ISX?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you given any thought to taking a class in business before buying a truck? I sure wish I had've before pulling the self employed trigger! Keep a sizable amount of cash handy for the unexpected.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Rookie

I'd do whatever you guys think would be helpful before buying a truck. I want to get it right the first time so I'm open to whatever. I've got a younger brother with a degree is business econ so I could probably just ask him.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Rookie

Okay, sounds kind of weird to me, but my parents were suggesting I lease a tractor from Penske or Ryder first and see how I like it. I was always under the impression that this was something businesses that need a fleet of trucks do - not a single (lease-op) owner-op does. I've never personally met anybody who does such a thing as they either run on their own authority or lease the truck to their company (like the owner-ops do at our company).

Does this make financial sense? Should I just buy my own truck and lease it to my company if they agree to work with me becoming an owner-op?

Either way I think I'm going to save up for at least another few months to get some extra money and talk to more people before I decide to buy a truck. I'm trying to make sure I have almost everything squared away before I do anything.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 AM
Rookie

One of the big factors on Lease vs Own Authority is the cost savings on paperwork, insurance and licensing/permits.

Programs and requirements vary from place to place and state to state. But in general the costs are less as a lease vs. own authority and you have a way to exit if things go horribly wrong.

I'd start as a lease while saving money and then when you have a substantial savings (75-100k) you can transition to having your own authority and running as an Independent. The savings will help pay for all the permits, insurance and maintenance you'll have when you start to transition to broker pay (if you go true independent).

Hope that helps.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Senior Board Member

i'll go against the grain.. if you know what your making every week.. stick with it. but.. if you are set on buying.. i had amazing luck with my ryder truck. but i'd not get an emissions truck. i'd try to find a pre emissions truck.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Senior Board Member

400-600 a day. I wouldn't turn the key.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-05-2015, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

You're in a tough boat being in CA. Used trucks between 2008 and 2012 are really a roll of the dice because of emissions, but you have to have them. Leasing from Penske or Ryder is more expensive and might be next to impossible for a one-truck guy just starting out. You could rent from them, instead of lease, but that will run you over $1000 a week. If you're going to buy and you have to go with 2010+ because of the ports, I would stick with Freightliner because Detroit had things figured out a little better than the rest at that point. If you can go down to 2007 engines (2008 trucks) the main thing is finding one with a solid maintenance history. Find a truck that hasn't needed any major engine or emissions work in several years. Those trucks are legal for CA, but I'm not sure about the port situation.