User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default questions relating to Canadian O/Os

I'm trying to get everything setup ahead of time so I don't have to try do things when on the road. Im canadian and will soon have my authority but was wondering a couple things:
1. Should I have a US dollar bank account? Or does a normal Canadian bank account work for brokers to deposit pay and quick pay? Also, any issues depositing paper cheques from the US banks into a Canadian $ bank account. Issues like holds on cheques or huge fees for the conversion from US dollar to Canadian dollar.

2. I've been leased onto a local company for a couple years and I started using their fuel card for the first couple months. But after I got rolling and making money, I switched to my own local Co-op fuel card because I was able to get the same discount on fuel as well as dividends. Basically, I charge fuel to my fuel card....then weekly they deduct my business Visa for the amount. Then I get reward points on my visa. It's a pretty good little program I have going. Kind of like a triple discount lol.
Now my question is for buying fuel in the US. Will my Canadian dollar Royal Bank Visa work.... or should I find a US fuel card that might offer discounts and have it linked to my visa card again?

Thanks for any help...this can quite overwhelming. So much to try figure out...with all the paperwork and everything. Some days it feels like my head will explode. Lol
Old 04-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I've deposited checks from Canadian brokers into my U.S. bank without a problem, though it does usually take longer for the check to clear. However, every bank is going to be different with their policies. The big multinationals won't be a problem but you'd be best served to walk into your bank and ask. It's a small price to pay to avoid nasty surprises. Your Visa will work just fine in the U.S., however many card issuers charge a fee (sometimes substantial) for international transactions. The same with cell providers. Again, take that time to speak with your various providers and get the scoop from them and make sure you understand what they're telling you. When it comes to these kind of issues, companies handle things in many different ways. Nobody here can speak to what your particular companies do unless they are doing business with them. There is no substitute for getting the info firsthand.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks No_worries. Yeah I know every bank would have different policies and procedures. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had something in particular that was working well for them. I deal at a small Credit Union right now so I might be limited with them.
Good to know about the Visa working ok down there but is there any type of fuel card you would recommend for use in the US that offers fuel discount?
Thanks again
Old 04-13-2015, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

For a single truck, I haven't seen anything better than NASTC. Their website is nastek.com. I think it's $250/year but the discounts usually run in the neighborhood of $.10-.30 off of pump prices.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:36 AM
Rookie

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Rookie

skman: If you are getting a lot of US checks it is better to have a USA account. Most Canadian banks will open up a separate US account. If you deposit a US check into your Canadian $ account there is a fee for each check. I think it is $5. Using your Canadian Visa in the USA is expensive. Cost is anywhere from 2 to 3% for EACH transaction. You should check to see if your Canadian Bank will give you a US debit card. I have an accounbt with a US bank and only carry about $150 cash. Use my debit card for everything. If you stop at a US Walmart and make a purchase you can get $$ from the debit card account. Your next hurdle will be cell phone!