User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Do not get me wrong. My maintenance reports, I track PM's. As well as fuel filter changes.

I do not scan in the receipt though and attach it to the ledger transactions in quicken. That is something entirely different.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I probably break down my maintenance expenses down more than some people. It isn't really necessary to break costs down as much as I do, but it provides more information to me as to where I am spending money on maintenance.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:11 AM
Board Regular

Tried to upload my chart of accounts. I based it off the tax categories for schedule c. My maintenance is broke down into 7 subcategories; parts, service, reefer, tires, tools, wash.

Don't see much need past that. I have contemplated making one for trailer too to break out reefer and trailer box separately. Parts is parts I buy and do the work. Service is work others do for me.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry that you were unable to upload your chart of accounts. It sounds like you have the basic accounting issues covered, mndriver. For me it is good to breakdown some of my maintenance expenses, as I stated earlier. I can see that it might be more difficult to do the compliant things, such as fuel taxes using Quickbooks. I don't know if you do LTL freight, but can you do that with Quickbooks? If you do billing, can the program provide an aging list? Are there things you would like to be able to do with Quickbooks that the program cannot currently do?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

Quicken home and business is what I use. Can't really say there's anything I'd like it to do that it doesn't already do. IFTA has little to do with my accounting other than a credit or debit in the fuel category. Applying it to individual loads seems pointless.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I key in my IFTA information on each load using my Trucknpro program. It is one of the features you can use or not use. It is much faster than doing in a spreadsheet like I did at one time. Although I do the IFTA for each load, I don't print out a report until the end of the quarter. At one time I did more closely track my IFTA gallons and miles so I could reduce my costs. If you know what you are spending it is easier to know how to cut costs. My program doesn't do the actual calculations. I don't really need that feature since my state uses electronic filings. In my situation I like having everything together. It helps me to keep everything up to date without having to access a different program. As long as I have kept everything up to date, all I need to do is print out an IFTA report and I have all my gallons and miles by state. Before when I used a spreadsheet, I had to spend time doing all the calculations and then printing the totals. I save time by having the IFTA and accounting in the same software.

I recall when I first looked at Quickbooks Pro that it could be customized according to the type of business. I did not see anything about trucking. That was the main reason I did not purchase Quickbooks several years ago. I would like to be able to import my banking information into the software. So far, that isn't available. I think it is difficult to find everything one wants in one program. If Trucknpro could work with Quickbooks so I could import my banking information, it would have everything that I can think I would need. But, being able to import my banking information is not mandatory.

I assume you can print out a profit and loss and balance sheet at any time with Quickbooks? Does the program offer a way to set up depreciation?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalBigFoot View Post
Quickbooks doesn't even come close to Axon software. I would bet that 95% of truckers trash Quickbooks after being confused out of their minds. Axon on the other hand is designed for trucking.
And costs $1500 a month for two years then $500 a month

Its also targeted to 10+ truck operations
Old 02-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
And costs $1500 a month for two years then $500 a month

Its also targeted to 10+ truck operations

That is a little pricey, even for 10 trucks. I still like having software you can pay for once and forget about it. I would not want to "rent" software to run my business. I have looked at a couple of programs where they require you to pay a monthly fee and use their online service. I guess I am a little old fashioned, but I would rather keep all my records on my own computer where I feel that I have more control over what happens with it.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Board Regular

Oh, he seemed to get a bit butthurt that people weren't jumping on the bandwagon for the software so I kind of got curious about it. I am all too familiar with business software like that and the costs associated with it. I used to go in and set up companies with manufacturing resource planning software. Stuff for managing manufacturing companies. Mainly smaller shops. Amazed at the price and bloat that some companies put into packages. Seems the KISS principles are lost on some people.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I key in my IFTA information on each load using my Trucknpro program. It is one of the features you can use or not use. It is much faster than doing in a spreadsheet like I did at one time. Although I do the IFTA for each load, I don't print out a report until the end of the quarter. At one time I did more closely track my IFTA gallons and miles so I could reduce my costs. If you know what you are spending it is easier to know how to cut costs. My program doesn't do the actual calculations. I don't really need that feature since my state uses electronic filings. In my situation I like having everything together. It helps me to keep everything up to date without having to access a different program. As long as I have kept everything up to date, all I need to do is print out an IFTA report and I have all my gallons and miles by state. Before when I used a spreadsheet, I had to spend time doing all the calculations and then printing the totals. I save time by having the IFTA and accounting in the same software.

I recall when I first looked at Quickbooks Pro that it could be customized according to the type of business. I did not see anything about trucking. That was the main reason I did not purchase Quickbooks several years ago. I would like to be able to import my banking information into the software. So far, that isn't available. I think it is difficult to find everything one wants in one program. If Trucknpro could work with Quickbooks so I could import my banking information, it would have everything that I can think I would need. But, being able to import my banking information is not mandatory.

I assume you can print out a profit and loss and balance sheet at any time with Quickbooks? Does the program offer a way to set up depreciation?
I don't use QuickBooks. I use a quicken product called Home&Business. Is combines all the features of home and business into one software. Really designed for sole proprietor type businesses. And yes, I have all the business reports I can use just like in QuickBooks or many others. Lots of features I don't use too.
Home & Business Finance Software - Quicken® Home & Business 2015