User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2014, 04:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Overwidth Vans?

Hello,

I'm looking to convert a Drop Deck Van into a mobile house. I would like to do some slide-outs to increase the interior space, and the easiest way to do it would be for them to stick out about 3" on either side when fully retracted. I know there are a lot of regulations on the width of trailers, and most states require additional permits, but I wanted to ask actual drivers; how difficult would it be for me to get someone to move this 9' wide (I'm not sure if it's going to be a 53' or 48' yet) trailer (probably around 20,000 lbs) across the country if I need to? And what kind of cost I'd be looking at including permits (Say from Maryland to Oregon)?

Thanks

You will need to permit your trailer in every state in which you run. I don't remember the cost of permits on all of those states. You might give one of the permit services a call for current permit costs or you can call each state yourself and ask them. As far as rates, I would expect from $3-4/mile for someone to pull the trailer, plus permits. All states will allow you up to 8 1/2' wide before charging for being over size. It would save you money if you left the trailer at the legal limit. That would probably drop the rate to around $2-2.50/mile.

Last edited by GMAN; 12-04-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Thanks GMAN, that's very helpful.

I met a team last week that had curtain sided trailers that with the curtains were 9'. They said the only place they didn't like to take them was California, but that most other states up to 9' wasn't a big deal. $2-4/mile is definitely a big difference, and I didn't realize it was that expensive. Most job postings I've seen are around $0.40 a mile for Owner/Operators(I'm guessing on top of Fuel), so I was thinking it couldn't be much more than $5,000 after permits. $4/mile is more than twice that, $2/mile is still a little higher, but not excessive.

Thanks

Tags
custom, drop deck, over-width