User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Apportioned plates mean you pay each state for the portion you run. Some states are more than others. Sometimes it's cheaper to add states from low cost states to offset the high ones. In my case, by doing that the price dropped from $1400 to $ 900.

If you don't go to the other states on your cab card you have to pay a penalty when you renew unless you remove them. Basically, each year you have to juggle states around if you want to outsmart them.

If they change to the new plan Gman is talking about it will probably change the juggling strategy.

According to OOIDA, the reason so many carriers are in IL is there are political deals behind the scenes.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:29 AM
Rookie

Is there a website that has the pricing of each state?

Illinois is called the windy city for a few reasons.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Only the DMV has it. You have to have someone on the inside that will share it with you or someone with a lot of registration experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemobile View Post

Old 11-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
I, also, am leaning towards having my own base plates. It seems to make more sense especially if you decide to leave a carrier as you stated.

When you say they charge quarterly in your state is the total divided into four payments throughout the year? So, if your base plates are $3000.00 per year you divide that amount by 4?
You will need to pay for the entire year at the same time. My renewal time is February. If I were to add another truck to my IRP, then those plates would be prorated from February. Some states may prorate by the month. Mine does it by the quarter. Even if there is only a day or two left in the quarter, you would still pay for the entire quarter. If it is that close, I would wait until the quarter ended to pay for my base plate. As I said, I don't know if other states operate the same way or not. We used to be able to pay our 2290 quarterly (no longer available), but I think we have always had to pay for our base plate for the entire year.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

For some reason they try to make it a big secret. I have been told that they don't even know the cost per state. I don't think I believe that, but that is what I was told. They have said that they can't tell the cost until they put it into the computer. I have even taken states off and then added them again and they came up with a higher rate. Go figure.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I only run Illinois and Iowa because that's what I want to do. I am home everyday and I make enough just running the 2 states. I can gross $2.00-$3.00 a mile just running the 2 states.

The cost of your plate is how many miles you ran in the state the year before.

I have 15 states on my cab card and they run $20-$50 for each state being I didn't run any miles in the state last year. I added them on this year because I thought I would run out a little further but it never happened so I will take those states back off when I renew.
Quote:
This is where i get a bit confused! What if you decided to run Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana along with Illinois and Iowa? Would the plates be close to 4 or 5k?

I thought you pay for the plates in the state your from, then IFTA kicks in when you travel to other states; i guess that is not so!

Scott, do you only run IL and IA because it's to expensive to run other states?

Last edited by Scottt; 11-16-2014 at 07:47 AM.