User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Here's the purchase plan so far for several trucks, what do you think?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I know its not short so thank you for your time. I've been posting forums and researching this stuff like a maniac and would appreciate some help. Here are the main points to know:

--I am new to the trucking industry in regards to equipment knowledge
--I've been thrown into this purchase. If I had been w/ the co before it would have been started years ago so sorry for my sometimes straightforward "Help me please" posts.
--We are based in CA
--Because of CARB, need to upgrade to 2008 (2007 engine) and newer. Glider is out and anything below 2007 (2006 engines) needs an aftermarket DPF which I read is a horrible idea.
--Need to upgrade almost all our units, total of 5-6 units, about 3-4 day cabs and 1-2 sleepers
--Do not need all the trucks at once but have an immediate need for 2 day cabs, renting equipment right now =/
--Will upgrade remaining units as soon as more funds are available or CARB starts dishing out heavy fines
--Emission research says many issues with 2007-2012 trucks, specifically 2007 and 2011 model years.
--Ideally we'd get all 2013 & newer trucks but can't afford the cash outflow for 5-6 of those.
--Based on banking research and financial statement reviews, we'd only be approved for a small loan or LOC or lease on just 1-3 units.
--We do have cash for down payments but like the say, cash is the most liquid asset and scarce
--We care about our drivers and everyone we work with. We want to grow and share the success with them so we want to get this right. One of the biggest reasons I joined is to have a shot at running a trucking co. differently. Its not a popular industry but it can make a unique impact some day past good freight hauling. Too new-school? Maybe but Im relentless.

What would your move be? I'm thinking:

Plan A -
1/ Full service lease on 3, 2010 to 2012 units because the lessor will cover most of the repairs and maintenance. If we go with Ryder they'll even provide a temp truck if needed. Penske will only lease 2013 and newer I believe.
2/ Financing what we'd be able to afford at the newer equipment prices, 1 to 2, 2013 to 2014 units and avoid most emission issues and do a couple aero add ons on the sleepers

Plan B -
1/ Again, full service lease but on 1 to 2, 2010 to 2012 units
2/ Finance 1 to 2, 2008 to 2011 units and have the freedom to install APUs on units that will idle significantly. I've read that APUs would reduce DPF and regen issues due to a lot less idling time. Also APUs would reduce diesel costs but have to check the math on how much exactly. We'd also do the aero adds
3/ Finance 1, 2013 or 2014 unit, the one that would rake up the most miles and add aero

Plan C -
1/ Finance 4 to 5 units but due to larger monthly payments, would have to be between 2008 to 2010 units, and possibly one 2012 unit. Again, have freedom of APU install and aero add ons

We are willing to put more cash down if I start getting more feedback that leads me believe its too much of a gamble purchasing the pre 2013 trucks even with an APU installed but I dont see the funds to avoid getting at least 1-2 pre-2013 unit/s

I prefer not decide based purely on math and accounting. I'd appreciate real world feedback, experience with any of the above like leasing through Ryder, how much APUs really save on diesel or regen issues, what makes or models they recommend, maybe talk about how a newer unit is doing MPG wise, etc. Hell if some of my research is flat out wrong, I'd love if someone gave me the right info. Thank you!

Last edited by jpeters72155; 10-08-2014 at 08:29 AM.