User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hauling containers I'm lost a bit

Ok we are all set up and ready to go, now we are being told to we need our own marine chassis. There are a lot of places it seems to lease regular chasis but I guess we need special ones for marine ones. We are not sure of the difference between a marine chassis regular one. I'll go buy one I just am a little lost. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey buddy, haven't talked to you in awhile; sounds like all's well. I've been a little swamped but I'll see if I can't catch up to you soon. To your question; marine chassis are referred to as such because of their length. Ocean containers are different lengths than rail containers. Other than that, the chassis are essentially the same. You might want to look into some of the chassis pools in your area. There are a few companies that have large rental pools at most of the big ports. Avoids the capex and overhead until you know for sure you're jumping in with both feet. Although, chassis aren't too expensive and sometimes the maintenance at the pools is a nightmare. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
Ok we are all set up and ready to go, now we are being told to we need our own marine chassis. There are a lot of places it seems to lease regular chasis but I guess we need special ones for marine ones. We are not sure of the difference between a marine chassis regular one. I'll go buy one I just am a little lost. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks No Worries. I have been meaning too call you to or at least send you an email. Life goes by too quick. Glad you have been keeping busy.

We ended up figuring it out, and you were right. They were just confusing us with the term "marine" chassis. For the rail we now have to just put these lips on the bottom of the trailer so the lift doesn't, well I'm not sure why, we just need to do it. I found a trailer pool and we get set up with them next week and we are off! Next up the produce business. I was always intrigued by that but now I have someone who will help. I'll tell you all about it next time we speak. Take care, thanks again and be safe!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok, I signed up for a chassis pool and found out they only serve two lines so I cancelled that. I am just going to buy a new one. Used ones are hard to find apparently. I was talking to one person today and she said hedge funds are buying up all the chassis from the shipping lines. The one I'm looking at is as follows:

The 40 Ft. Ultralight to carry 40 chassis 2014 Cheetah, dual axle. From what we are gathering this is the most common one needed. I already have the work lined up just wanting to see if this sounds right as for specs generally used?

$12,589.29 Sale Price

$ 1,308.71 Federal Excise Tax

$ 821.00 Fl. Sales Tax

$ 235.00 Permanent Tag & title transfer

$14,954.00
Old 06-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Rookie

Hi Merrick4, this is off topic. I read your 2007 posts when you started out and I wonder if you have any advice for me 7 years later. Would you do it again or did it just become a case of "buying a job." Are the conditions for Owner Operator Authority much changed since you began or basically the same. When you started lots of folks gave you the names of good loadboards and companies/brokers; can you post a similar list? Can I start with a reliable old tractor and dry van and keep the truck rolling as I get experience? Can you recommend a good insurance company or two? You see, a lot of the same questions you had, especially "Can I do this without losing my shirt or falling on my face." My kids are grown so I have some freedom to try. What do think? Sorry bout typos, using Android with fat fingers.