User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am actually looking for something new. I love Quicken Home & Business because it lets me track both my checkbooks and keep them separated. The issue I have with them is that I have been using H&B 2011. At the new year, I started to get messages that come april, quicken will no longer allow them to download my accounts directly. Only if I purchase 2014 will it let me continue to do that.

I am not excited about 2014 version. I don't like the way they are pushing the smartphone and cloud system onto the package.

A caveat to using ANY software.

When I did my new carrier audit, the DOT guy wanted to see paper files: driver, maintenance, insurance, authority, logs and drug testing. He had no interest in looking at the computer one bit. You needed to hand him a file folder with the specific information he asked for. nothing else.

That is why I suggest using nothing but the ETA manual to set up your files. It has EXACTLY what they want and in the format they are expecting to see it in. Compare those forms to what JJ Keller sells or any of the others put out and it's the same thing. One you can have for free, the other stuff you pay for.

Last edited by mndriver; 02-15-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That really stinks about your software. I keep a hard copy of my authority, W9 and insurance in a file and also scanned in copies to maintain on my computer. You could scan in all of your documents into the Trucknpro software and then print it out at any time that it is needed. I don't believe Easy Trucking software has a scanning feature. At least the version that I have didn't have scanning capability. Truckers Helper is a good package, but I don't recall if they have scanning capability. Both Truckers Helper (some versions) and Trucknpro have a driver qualifications file. If you just want a hard copy, you can purchase the one required by the feds at most truck stops. If you decide to go with Trucknpro, you can scan in a copy of your drivers license, physical and expiration dates of each. Maintenance records can be printed out and put in a file for your permanent records. At one time the Trucknpro developers discussed having the ability to transfer data to or from Quicken. I don't know if they ever got that feature added to the program.

I know some owners who like Quick Books Pro. I looked at this program myself. It is a good program, but I don't think it would give me some of the reports and features that I could get with one of thee trucking programs. I bought Quicken and started using it, but decided to stick with Trucknpro. I have used the program for a number of years.

If you want to be able to access various reports, such as maintenance reports I think you will need to either do them manually or purchase one of the trucking specific programs. You can still put them into a file once you print them off. I know one owner who just scans in his logs, too. I am not completely trusting of technology. I always like the idea of having a hard copy.

You may want to sit down and make a list of what you would like in your accounting program and see if you can match it to something that will best suite your needs.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Board Regular

I keep 4 sets of books/papers.

A binder in the office with the originals.
These are also scanned into the computer and put in a secondary location stored outside of my house.
A copy of these are also on my computer.
the fourth set is kept in the truck binder. Pretty much only that which is needed on the road in this set.

I have a packet of all my company stuff on the computer that I send in when I fill out carrier packets; profile, W9, Authority letter.

I use Home & Business because it tracks both my house and company checkbooks in one package. I have learned how to use text files to transfer data from inside quicken into a spreadsheet or a database if I want to. Some times I do that to do financial planning. I can take my invoices and export them into a text file as well and get them into Excel.

I have created my own Access database as well for loads etc. Has shipper, receiver and broker etc in the them as well as route and fuel tables. Just been something I have been toying with. The thought process for it all was to create an interface to put stuff into Quicken.

I bored with it and after awhile figured I would just use the individual files to do what I want out of it all.

spreadsheets I have:
one for loads. I enter all my load cities and mileage into along with rates. This also has a copy of a pro forma statement of cashflow. I use this kind of as a gage to tell me if the load is worth hauling.

Trip sheets. This is where I enter the data in for my trips by week and also fuel stops and state mileage beginning and ending. Basically this is a "driver duty" sheet for the IFTA stuff.

IFTA sheet. A new sheet for each quarter. I fill this out each week when I do my trip sheets. More a copy and paste task really. I can track what I am doing for my IFTA report and if I have a refund or owe that quarter. The goal with this is to be within $20 of break-even. Currently, I am owed like $80 by the state of MN on my IFTA account.

Fuel sheet. I didn't create this until LATE 2013. I use this to track the historical fuel mileage by month on the truck and to give me an annual average as well. Think long term trends here. I can see if I am having a mechanical issue or what not with the truck. It's showing me that the truck is tracking fuel mileage pretty even since I got the truck. When I say it's a 6.2 mpg truck, that's my average economy now since I got the truck. Winter I go down to about 5.8 and summer I am closer to 6.8-7 MPG. Even running 75-80K gross most of the time. The reality here is, weather temps and wind ARE the biggest contributors to good or bad fuel mileage. I have had days kill my mileage on a run as low as 4.8 mpg with a 20+ head wind and -10 temps and the same run has given me 6.8 MPG with a 20+ tailwind and +10*F. Same load, same road same direction. (Yes, I have been running the SAME load every day M-F since about 1 Oct 13)

What I like in my accounting package I have not found ANY PLACE else. Namely the ability to track all of my account; fuel, personal & business bank accounts, fleetone, invoices. That's the beauty of Home & Business.