User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Are we really talking about the phantom gun laws again?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
I don't know about regulation, it's kinda a grey area, but no matter what it says, it would defiantly cause some inconvenience, because a lot of places you'll be going has their own "no weapons" polices. The choice is yours. Let me ask you a question;- Does gun make you feel safe? If so, you might be in a deeper trouble you are asking for.
Here's the deal, I've hauled just about every kind of freight, and most of it goes to places where there are a lot of other trucks and people, and I also was able to park in safe areas. When I started doing door to door deliver of cars, everything changed. About the only thing that is in common with the rest of trucking is the fuel stop. I found myself unable to go into truck stops, unless I arrived early, because of potential damage to the cars on the back when the all the tired drivers showed up later. Also, delivering into some of the major cites is very dangerous if you're stuck there at night with a load of desirable cars, and there is no one around to assist you if trouble breaks out. I was surrounded by thugs in Chicago and I thought I was going to have to escape in the vehicle I was unloading, until I was rescued by the wrecker company that had been waiting behind a large gate with clubs. I would definitely not go back to certain places for any amount of money, but I just don't like being unarmed. I realize you can't carry a gun in Chicago, but I would never deliver into the city unarmed. Probably not at all, but maybe the burbs...........
Old 08-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Board Regular

I think why I misunderstood the issue, is that in training, my instructor took the regs concerning the transportation of explosives, or some other hazmat requirement to reinforce their "no guns in the trucks" policy. They clearly portrayed it as a federal prohibition, at least when I was there. I'm sure it keeps them from liability, not to mention having trucks towed if a driver has a gun in the truck illegally, since this company frequently go to states that don't allow them at all.

I bet they mentioned "no guns" twenty times in training. I went back through their training manual, and it's NOT in the manual. The emphasis, or maybe the reference to certain regs, was all done in the class room. This is not the first time I've seen regs misrepresented in orientation..........

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Senior Board Member

My point is, that whatever "bad guys" want to do, to harm you-their list concern...Well, in the most realistic scenario. Once you pull out a gun, the stakes will change dramatically. And for those who hope to scare thugs off- you don't pull a gun to scare, you pull a gun to kill, or don't pull at all! So the issue;- to kill or get killed, is a lot bigger IMHO than to just get robbed out of your cargo and even personal possessions.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Board Regular

Solo, I agree completely, it's not the cargo I care about, but it's the cargo that gets their attention. If I had to pull a gun, somebody is gonna get shot, which makes everything more complicated, but I have a family to go home to. I do like the Taurus Judge that will take .410 rounds, which can vary from bird shot, buck shot, or slugs. It will accept .45 rounds as well. In that scenario, you could go less lethal and try to get away if you wished to. I realize that goes against all gun training.......
Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

for snakes and such...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRln30aBCCY

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Rookie

Can't carry a cop in your pocket, so you're not going to have one with you when you really need one. There's no time to read the regs to the thugs, either. Kudos to Slacker for using his truck as a weapon. Way to GO! I'd still wanna' have my weapon with me, as a backup. Defend yourself. Ask questions later. Thugs with the idea of stealing something off your truck certainly have violence on their mind. They're a threat to your personal safety as well as your cargo, for sure.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are no federal regs concerning weapons in the truck. If you plan on crossing the northern border into Canada, you don't want to have a gun in your truck. Penalties are severe. New York and most of the Northeastern/New England states are also not gun friendly. California also doesn't like guns. The point is that if you plan on having a gun in your truck you need to be familiar with guns laws in the states in which you will be driving. Many states do reciprocate with one another, but some don't. There are ways in which you can legally carry a gun in your truck in most states. You don't want to get into a situation in New York or some of the other communist states. You can be thrown in jail in New York for having a magazine that will accept more than 7 rounds. I know. They are idiots apparently catering to the criminals. My advice would be to keep quiet about having one in the truck. Unless you enter a military base it should not be an issue. Don't go on a military base in New York with a weapon. You could be arrested and charged with a felony, just for having the gun. There are some states that are more willing to follow the Constitution when it comes to having a gun in the truck or car. You just need to be aware and my thinking is that I would rather be safe than sorry. I would protect myself and worry about the jury later. With what has been going on in the country with all the blacks attacking whites, you might be better off with a gun that without.