User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fitzgerald's glider kit

I put a deposit down on a Pete 389 glider kit from Fitzgerald's last week, so today I made a trip down to the factory to check out my truck and their operation.

First off they are pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but I have to say from what I saw today everything about the operation seems top notch. There are probably 300+ gliders sitting on the yard. They are doing 1 Peterbilt and 2 Freightliners a day, and from the couple in the shop that I looked at it appears that no corners are being cut and they are very experienced in what they are doing.

I took an experienced mechanic with me and he couldn't have been more impressed. He said and I agree if you sat that truck in a parking lot and asked anyone if it came straight from the factory no one would deny it, every hose and clamp are top notch and professionally tied and protected. The shop is huge and although not NASCAR shop clean it was very nice and organized.

I am very pleased with my decision to go the glider route after what I saw today.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Board Member

congrats!

i'm up in the air about getting one myself. whats really stopping me (besides i gotta wait at least 2 years..) is will the factory trucks beat these in fuel milage to the point its just not worth haveing a pre emissions motor anymore and.. i live in NY.

what specs did you go with? thats a damn good looking truck. i'd love to build a 386
Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Glider kits seem like the way to go now a days.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
congrats!

i'm up in the air about getting one myself. whats really stopping me (besides i gotta wait at least 2 years..) is will the factory trucks beat these in fuel milage to the point its just not worth haveing a pre emissions motor anymore and.. i live in NY.

what specs did you go with? thats a damn good looking truck. i'd love to build a 386
How are the factory trucks going to compete with the pre emission motors as far as fuel mileage is concerned?

It's not even close when it comes to downtime and being able to get repairs done. I'm not sure what NY has to do with it, but I don't run there anyhow, or CA for that matter.

It's got the 12.7L Detroit series 60 with an 18spd trans 3.55 rears on 24.5 tall rubber.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member

I think NY wont let you register one, unfortunatley more and more states will go that route, gotta keep the air clean ya know............Cali already has some strict laws in effect.
, for emissions and older trucks. In Jersey I have to have mine "smoke tested" every year......$75 bux........$750.00 fine if ya don't do it, first offense, $1500, 2nd offense

I think the gider is a good idea, but it won't last long once the tree hugers get involved
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Good looking truck. If i was in the market for a new truck i would look at a glider. But it would be hard for me to buy one since Mack don't sell gliders If you don't mind me asking?? What is the final price tag on them??

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Good looking truck. If i was in the market for a new truck i would look at a glider. But it would be hard for me to buy one since Mack don't sell gliders If you don't mind me asking?? What is the final price tag on them??
volvo might sell a glider they the same as mack lol
Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I think NY wont let you register one, unfortunatley more and more states will go that route, gotta keep the air clean ya know............Cali already has some strict laws in effect.
, for emissions and older trucks. In Jersey I have to have mine "smoke tested" every year......$75 bux........$750.00 fine if ya don't do it, first offense, $1500, 2nd offense

I think the gider is a good idea, but it won't last long once the tree hugers get involved
wow.. here you just have to try again. and yes i'm worried about registering it here.

i was reading an article (maybe landline?) that a cascadia has got 9.33mpg.. BUT is that real world running? weight, highway speeds, hills etc. i still gotta wait a few years before i gotta worry about a new truck anyway. hopefully by then someone will figure out how to delete all that crap.

anyway, good luck with the glider. its a really good looking truck.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
like 140,000 after i added lights,visor, 7" stacks and custom paint

Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member

went to the Louisville truck show today and took these shots from Fitzgerald's display.