User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewey1982 View Post
I was also wondering if anyone can provide some insight as to the facts about once the truck is bought. I want to lease my truck onto a carrier, will I need to have the license plates and registration done before I lease on or is there a way that I can get the company to register the truck in the state they have their company trucks registered? I have decided I don't want to do a company lease purchase, and I'd rather go out and find my own truck as opposed to buying a used one from their fleet.
I got some words of wisdom for you. Try driving a truck for a while before deciding to become a O/O. Giving tickets to truck drivers isn't the same as driving a rig. But feel free to spend as much money as you can....luv to see ticket giving ex-cops go right down the drain trying to be a truck driver.

And be sure to check my grammer.

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Rookie

You sure do assume a lot about what I did as a police officer. You also assume a lot about my previous experiences in life. If you knew anything the majority of police officers don't mess with truck drivers. If you have as much knowledge about truck driving as you claim you do you'd know the majority of tickets truck drivers get are from State Troopers and other DOT people. And your "grammer" (grammar) still needs work. Now if you don't mind, go play in traffic and find a hobby.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Rookie

I wish you luck on the whole buying a truck.I just want to fill you in a bit here...Rates are way down.Fuel is way up.There is a whole lotta cut throat going on out there with the freight.I would reconsider this move.

I have a paid for truck and i am STRUGGLING.That is correct sir,PAID FOR..Last week i earned $4,000 and was gone all week long fighting this crap.After FUEL,TOLLS,BROKER CUT,and INS there was not much left over.Not to mention the million little charges that go along with being an O/O.In the end i made 33% of that $4,000 figure.I am not sure how long you have been doing this,but please be AWARE..If i showed you my break down sheet,you would fall over...Believe it or not there are many O/O out there just working all week to make a payment,thats it....

My cousin went out and bought a brand new truck and i warned him.He went ahead anyways.Well,he ''lives'' in it forever trying to get ahead.After all his ''expences'' there is very little for his Labor left over.Sad but true..He is rying right now.

If you are willing to ''live'' in the truck for long periods of time,i am sure you can make it.But keep in mind sir,the family,the wife and any personal life you have.It will be way on the back burner.Trust that..

Anyhow i would love a ''new'' truck and even have the ''cash'' to do so.But with all the money they take from you and all the expences,i will keep my paid for old truck and wait and see.Good Luck to you...I hope this helped a bit...
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Rookie

I'm just curious...does that $4000 include the fuel surcharge? I would assume it does, but I don't like like to assume anything.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Yes.It's included the fuel surcharge.My cost per mile just to turn the key and start the truck is $2.50 a mile.So ask yourself this.How can an O/O make it at $1.00 a mile on all miles.?.We see these ads everywhere..Truth is they are prolly making .25 or below for there labor after all expences paid out.Sad but that is reality.

The O/O game is a very dirty game.I do not no any better.I left school in the 8th grade and wanted to drive an 18 wheeler.I have been at it ever since and some days i kick myself in the azz for leaving school.But it is all i know at this point.

Please do not let the ''fuel surcharge'' trick you..All they are doing is taking it out of the ''rate'' and giving you the fuel at 100%..Let's say the load pays $3.00 a mile.National avg is .49..So they take the miles of the run.Let's use 1000 mile run..So 1000 x.49 is the fuel surcharge paid at 100%.But all they do is back that figure out of the original $3,000.So you see how they are still taking it out of the ''rate''...All they are doing is playing with the numbers and making it appear to be a wonderful thing..But it is still $3,000 bucks..It's a little trick they play to candy coat it for the drivers...Imagine that,more manipulation in trucking...LMAO..

When i get time i will put the numbers down for this weeks work i booked.You can see how the ''big'' top number TO START goes down to the bottom and the ''net'' is much much smaller....Almost makes you wanna cry and go be a company driver...peace
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Here is my numbers for Landstar Ranger on one run this week..Keep in mind i get 72% of the linehaul...This is what Landstar charges us on.So if we can get much of the money off this ''L/H'',IT IS BETTER FOR US...Many times L/S frown's at this because they are losing money.

400 mile trip at $4.00 a mile...= 1,600

L/H = 1,400- I get 72% of this number.
FS = 200.00- This is all mine 100%

Take the 1,400 x 72% = 1008.00...(this is all my money)..This is your ''new'' LH not the 1,600...

Now add the 200.00 FS back in = 1208..(this is my money 100%)...Do you see the difference yet.?..Started at 1,600 gross..But it is actually 1208.00 to me...Now for the fuel...

100 mile deadhead to get load and 400 to run it there.Keep in mind the 150 for the next load...So your TOTAL MILES is 650...Take 650 and divide it by 6 MPG....This is 108 Gallons of fuel...Now take the 108 x 4.00 = 432.00 in fuel to do job..Now we have to do tolls...

Tolls are going to cost me alot..I am running NY Thruway and Boston Turn Pike...This is 100.00 bucs all day...

So we have 1,208 minus 432.00 minus 100.00 is = 676.00 grand total.....for one leg to boston....Mind you.This is 4.00 a mile,which is hard to come by...If it were just 2.00 a mile,then go ahead and cut your 676.00 in half...Now you only made 338.00 for the day...Do you follow this...?...