User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Starting up a small fleet

Well i'm moving to Saskatchewan, Canada next year and want to start up a small fleet. (trucking is all i know so its got to work) I have about $600 000 cash to invest into the business.
I was hoping some of you guys could comment and guide me through this minefield a little I'm giving up EVERYTHING back home (South Africa) to make this move, so a little help would be HUGELY appreciated guys

This is my basic plan:
Purchase 5 tractors, 2009+, finance the trucks with a 15% down payment. Truck value of around $55 000 each. This should be about a total of $100k down.
Purchase trailers for the tractors IF neccessary, but want to spend as little capital as possible in the beginning. Still have +- $500k at that point.
Lease the tractors/rigs to an existing Canadian fleet as i am not familiar with the local market at this stage. Will make it easier in the beginning i think.
I would like to do long haul with flat deck or some sort of Super-B combination. Something that pays better than dry van rates.
Find well qualified drivers, family orientated and motivated people, pay them well and build up a great team, so we can all get a step forward together.

Can any of you offer your advice and knowledge here? Sorry if these questions seem stupid, i'm not familiar with how it all works over there
What sort of tractors would you suggest? Cost effective, value for money, reliability etc.
What engines and horses would you use? (running east-west Canada and into USA, i dont want to go North in Canada)
Which Canadian carriers would you suggest leasing to?
Which carriers would you stay well away from?
What sort of rate does one need to run for over there to make things worth while? Minimum rate/mile?
Do most carriers pay your fuel or do you pay your own fuel? For example, a carrier claims to pay you 0.92c/mile. Is that after fuel or what? Please explain.
Assuming one pays a high range wage to the driver, what is the cost to company per driver per month? Incl taxes etc.

If any of you have ANY advice, suggestions, figures, names and numbers etc, PLEASE, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, have a great Festive Season and drive safe all!

Regards
Justin
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Rookie

There are many different types of trucks available in market. Don't save few bucks of money which will ultimately loss you in long term. Purchase good quality and reliable truck in order to be successful in future. Wish you best of luck.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Board Member

$600000 in cash? be smart.. put it in the bank and get a BS job. you'll live longer.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Rookie

HAHA yes its like they say: How do you make a small fortune in transport? Start with a BIG one!

I have thought of that but like i said, trucking is what i know, i cant imagine sitting in an office all day pushing papers. Im a country person so farms and trucks are the only way to go i guess.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I guess if you're used to it, but I am appreciative that I am surviving this economy but I dislike this business. I'm running 29 trucks right now. If it wasn't for my daughter and I want the best for her, I'd be out of this tomorrow.