User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tell me what you think about this truck

Im in the market for a day cab tractor in the next 6 months. ( might need one sooner if i land this contract) I cant seem to find any Macks i like. So my 2nd choice is IH. You think this is a fair asking price?? Is that model cummins a good one??

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4013343

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM

it a nice looking truck, good eng. low mil at 500-no need for overhead till 800+(if eng was well cared for) you dint say much obout what you doing with it so i notis 2 things. first the pto 2nd the wheel base at 181.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

It will be pulling a TANK. I can use the pto to power the pump on the tank. I have to buy a tank trailer as well. Looking to buy both truck and trailer for under 70,000. Trailers range from 30-75,000. This run if i get it will only be 3 loads a week for a total of 200 miles a week. So the truck will not be working hard. This will be my start in the bulk wastewater hauling. Once i get this job to take care of all the bills i can go after more work since i already have the set-up.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

These are the types of trailers im looking at.
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=3927115

I would love an alum. trailer but they are out of my price range. Looking for something around 6,000 gallons in steel.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 AM

i still would ck king-pin settings, 181 is a short wheel base even for a daycab, think that truck is set up for more dubles that have a shorter set back on the king=pin as with your 40,45,48,53s will have a 33-36 set back. other wise its a nice trk 9900 r good runnersw/rider, pricey but think top 10,000 is for the clean look
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Board Regular

That IH is nice, but for what you're doing you might want a slower rear end ratio, like a 4.11 or 4.33, I don't know what your area is like for hills, but it will give you better starts when fully loaded.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Board Member

where will you be running? how far? weight etc. are you the one running the truck? i myself wouldnt put anyone in a truck i didnt know with a 18 speed. the motor is great and should do the job great. i think the gears are fine. one thing i gotta say.. tahts a damn good looking truck!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I will be driving it and i may also have a driver in it part-time. I will know in 2 weeks if i have this contract. If i get it i need to buy quick. If I don't get it i have alittle time. I really want a Mack. But i cant seem to find any i want in my price range. I don't want a vision. I want a CH or Granite with a 460 and 13 or 18speed on air ride. That set-up is hard to find.

Is it me or does it seem like daycabs are more then sleeper trucks??

I got to tank to my bank as well. They don't like to deal with trucks older then 10years. I will keep looking. Plus a white truck would save me alittle money. So i don't have to get it painted. But if i can find the right truck i will pay to paint it.

Last edited by Mackman; 12-07-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogBook View Post
i still would ck king-pin settings, 181 is a short wheel base even for a daycab, think that truck is set up for more dubles that have a shorter set back on the king=pin as with your 40,45,48,53s will have a 33-36 set back. other wise its a nice trk 9900 r good runnersw/rider, pricey but think top 10,000 is for the clean look
I would think the truck was a lowboy tractor or something. With the headache rack and the pto.

This would be the mack i want. But in the 30-40k price range. Which i cant find one.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=3656471

Last edited by Mackman; 12-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member

This contract is for 3,000 gallons a day that needs to be hauled. It is sludge from a dairy plant. It goes into a 21,000 gallon frac tank. It will be 3 or 4 - 6,000 gallon loads a week to keep up with it. 75 - 85,000 gallons a month. I can do the run with my straight truck. But i will be running my balls off since it can only hold 3,400 gallons. My bid price is 7.9/gallon. I have to pay 3.6/gallon to get rid of it. so that leaves the truck with 4.3/gallon after dumping. I should be able to do a round trip in less then 1.5 hrs. 4.3 x 6000 = $258.00/load to the truck. If i do it with my Mack now I would have to pull 2 loads at 6,800 gallons and the truck will make 292.40 in 3 hours. If i get it im thinking just run the little mack for awhile and save alittle more to put down on a tractor trailer set-up. And in the mean time look for more bulk work.

With a trailer the truck will bring in 3,100/month. Which will cover its payment plus all costs and put alittle in the bank. Im not sure what im going to do. We will see.