User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Leasing on/ recent experience

Can I lease on to a company if I have not driven since the first quarter of '09?

How much money can and should I make if I am leased on for local work? (I can stay out overnight one or two nights a week if necessary, but I would prefer to be home daily or almost daily if possible). What is the best type of work to have this home time?

I am thinking that if I could make $1500 per week after fuel, I would be ok. I'm not trying to get rich, but I would like to turn a steady profit. Does anyone know of a good company that will hire me, treat me right, and pay at least this consistently? Do you guys think this number is ok? Also, are there any restrictions on running a mechanical engine, or any coming in the near future?

Quick background:

I am a mechanic and have done many, many repairs (engine rebuilds, clutches, fabricating / welding, painting, etc). My home and garage and truck are paid for. I was a company driver for quite a few years (10 +). I am single and have few expenses. I don't have a lot of cash, but I will have zero debt as I begin this, and I have reserves that I can access for emergencies as long as the truck is working. Probably looking to start in the fall. I am in the Montgomery County area of Pa (about a half hour west of Phila). Like I said, I'm not looking to get rich, but I would like to turn a steady profit, and eventually move into something more profitable when I am ready. Trying to figure the best plan. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

if you were closer to harrisburg i'd say call land transportation. its rail work. learn the system and make it work for you, you can make a lot of money.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes, it's sounds that a rail yard would be the best option for you. But since you were not driving in a last 3 years, that could be a problem.....
Old 11-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fld View Post
I am thinking that if I could make $1500 per week after fuel, I would be ok.....I am a mechanic and have done many, many repairs (engine rebuilds, clutches, fabricating / welding, painting, etc). My home and garage and truck are paid for...... I am single and have few expenses. I don't have a lot of cash, but I will have zero debt as I begin this, and I have reserves that I can access for emergencies as long as the truck is working. ......I am in the Montgomery County area of Pa (about a half hour west of Phila).
Sounds to me like you are set up pretty well. You are close enough to the port of Baltimore that you can zip in there with a RGN and accomplish your goals I think.

Tags
leasing on, mechanical engine, owner operator, recent experience