User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Well I'm an old hand as this now. 4 months in the business.

I am learning and it is getting easier. I've got a few brokers that call me with loads now. I'm learning to stick to a certain area too, that's a big help. Takes the fun out of driving to a large degree but failing to make a living is even less fun.

I'm about to pay my mortgage on time for the 2nd month in a row. Woohoo! Things are starting to look up.
Keep at it
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Words of wisdom to be sure. I didn't do a good job of that at first, but now that I've gotten stung a couple of times I'm making sure that the load fits my truck.

But let's talk about next week, shall we? I booked a load going to WV. I pick up Monday, just outside of Detroit and I was told I could drop off Monday afternoon. Well the receiver doesn't want me there until Tuesday. Not a big deal. The load pays pretty well (for a straight truck load), and even though I figured I'd probably have to deadhead for the next one I ran the numbers and I'm okay. And then I found a load outside of Cincinnati that goes to eastern PA. Again, not a good place to end up loadwise, but the load pays pretty well (for a straight truck). But the guy that had booked the load was at lunch, and the guy I talked to seemed pretty disinterested. I asked what the freight was and he said "9 regular pallets, nothing special". I asked him about height later in the conversation, explaining that I had a roll up (overhead) door and again he said "regular pallets man, it's fine". Ok, so I booked it and got the confirmation. Wtf? High-cube? Food grade? I don't know what high-cube means exactly, but I can guess my straight truck isn't. And I don't know for sure about food grade. I'd guess my truck is borderline. It doesn't smell bad or anything but it's shiny days are long past.

So I called and some guy said he'd put my concerns into the computer so the salesman would check it out and call me. So far of course no call. I printed out a copy of the original load posting for my protection, but there isn't much else I can do until Monday.
That sucks, refrigerated food is finicky.
Some meat plants REQUIRE a washout within MINUTES of arriving.
A degree off could mean a customer does not have to pay.
Rail reefer requires bracing and bagging...the list goes on.

A food grade, high cube would most likely be found on an inter-modal shipments.