User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yes I agree with firebird that columbia is a damm good lucking truck.I really like it.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM
Senior Board Member

still a frieghtshaker though
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchno1 View Post
still a frieghtshaker though
That's true. But any truck is only as good as how it is spec'd. There is hardly a single part or component that isn't spec'd or can be changed in the spec sheets. Many things, people just go with the standard stuff that the OEM has outlined in the basic specs. That is ok sometimes. I probably changed 75% of the OEM basic stuff to other components. I even mix matched a lot of stuff. One was brakes. I used Conmet drums, Meritor shoes, Haldex slack adjusters. Some things, I had to drag them kicking and screaming to get changed to exactly, not close, but exactly like I wanted. One that I had to almost hold a gun to their head was the drive tandems. I wanted Meritor RT-40-145A's, with 11mm aluminum housings and dualtrac option. But I got 'em. I am having the frame rails and undercarriage painted in Dupont Viper Red, and the body is going to be Dupont Viper Blue.

Even a "freight shaker" really spec'd well it can be a solid truck. I have seen generic, fleet spec'd Pete's and KW's I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. But we all have seen some pretty good Petes and KW's. Thing is, most everyone has only seen a Columbia that has been spec'd out by the standard fleet specs. There are not too many Columbias that have been really tweaked and custom done. This will not be a typical Schneider truck, for sure. I can't even begin to imagine a fleet spec'ing an 18 speed tied to a 2.79 rear end, like mine. Few drivers would really know what to do with that setup without destroying the truck.

It would have been nice to have a broader selection of trucks. Pete is offering the 389 as a glider, but they are really playing games with bringing them to market. That pretty much left the FL M2 Business Class (local, regional type truck), the Coronado, and the Columbia. Paccar just will not get with the program in an aggressive way when it comes to gliders. I would have considered an International Lonestar if it had been offered as a glider. The OEM's are really dropping the ball here. They are missing out on a potentially big market. Only Freightliner is actively seeking buyers for gliders.... and laughing at the other OEM's all the way to the bank. They are having a difficult time just keeping up with the demand. Meanwhile, Paccar, Mack, International, etc are all sitting in the dealerships twiddling their thumbs, waiting for a buyer to show up. Of course, those of us going the glider route are also snickering at those that get the latest pipe burning, urine fed, EGR eating truck. There are those that have no choice because they do California, but there are a lot of people buying that emissions laden stuff that really don't need to, and are really missing out on a good opportunity to have a good truck without all that emissions stuff.

Last edited by Copperhead; 02-25-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

just giving you a hard time with frieghtshaker word haha learnt it in here,glider trucks not available here as far as ive heard ,our kws made in australia and can only get what paccar will let you ,well specks they deal in.internatiol are assembled here in tauranga ,dont see that many of new models on the road and never heard of them supplying gliders,thier t and s line models around doing the hard yards ,good solid old trucks.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Aaah, that's ok. I didn't take it to heart. It is common for Freightliner to be called names. I do it myself! Just like International is called everything from a combine to a 13 letter manure spreader. It is all in fun. The Columbia, though, is one truck that really hasn't had a chance to be what it could be. It got targeted to mega fleets and sold to them in generic, one size fits all, varieties by the thousands. Some O/O have scored on a decent used Columbia, and a few have done what I am doing in buying a glider. I wanted to take it to the next level with this truck. No skimping on anything. I wanted as close to the perfect truck I could get for what I do and where I have to do it. I could have done that with a Pete 389 or a Coronado, I guess, but I did want the aero features. And the Columbia will maneuver in tight spots a lot easier than the other two, and is a lighter truck for more payload.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member

il msg my email for specks be a lot here interestd i think.was thinking if people here have imported trks that were gliders without knowing all though only no 1 bloke who broght trk bak from states and he drove over there it was a pete and he changed diff ratios 2 weeks after driving it here
Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Aaah, that's ok. I didn't take it to heart. It is common for Freightliner to be called names. I do it myself! Just like International is called everything from a combine to a 13 letter manure spreader. It is all in fun. The Columbia, though, is one truck that really hasn't had a chance to be what it could be. It got targeted to mega fleets and sold to them in generic, one size fits all, varieties by the thousands. Some O/O have scored on a decent used Columbia, and a few have done what I am doing in buying a glider. I wanted to take it to the next level with this truck. No skimping on anything. I wanted as close to the perfect truck I could get for what I do and where I have to do it. I could have done that with a Pete 389 or a Coronado, I guess, but I did want the aero features. And the Columbia will maneuver in tight spots a lot easier than the other two, and is a lighter truck for more payload.
i 100% agree. i got what i think was a good deal on mine.. ex ryder truck, MBN c15, 10 speed 3.73's out the door with a warantee from ryder for 27k. it drives straight and all and all.. no real squeeks and rattles. my major gripe with freightliner is that all the interiors are the same! the only thing stopping me (and my dad for that) is that we're scared that 4 years down the road.. hell. 10 years down the road the epa will do something to make the trucks not aloud on the road.. or something where the new trucks will get some kind of stupid fuel milage that i can not obtain. sadly, i think the truck i buy next will be a new t660.

copperhead, the list you have is that an options list?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i 100% agree. i got what i think was a good deal on mine.. ex ryder truck, MBN c15, 10 speed 3.73's out the door with a warantee from ryder for 27k. it drives straight and all and all.. no real squeeks and rattles. my major gripe with freightliner is that all the interiors are the same! the only thing stopping me (and my dad for that) is that we're scared that 4 years down the road.. hell. 10 years down the road the epa will do something to make the trucks not aloud on the road.. or something where the new trucks will get some kind of stupid fuel milage that i can not obtain. sadly, i think the truck i buy next will be a new t660.

copperhead, the list you have is that an options list?
There is literally nothing on the specifications sheets on a truck that cannot be modified to meet a particular need. It can be a little intimidating and definitely time consuming. Everything on an ordered truck is technically an option short of the body and the frame. And of course, some government mandated stuff. But even that in many cases is just a matter of spec'ing the brand of component. The government may mandate that I have anti lock brakes, but I do not have to use a particular brand. Where I place the air horn, or how many I have as long as there is at least one. I can use incandescent lighting or LED's. As long as the minimum are on the vehicle and placed in DOT mandated locations. You can get as defined as the brand of wheel seals in the hubs!!

Granted, the specification list I did does have some things that I chose not to mess with. But everything is technically an option. A buyer would get a generic spec sheet to start with, then go thru and modify what needs to be changed to meet their needs.

Buying off the lot is almost foolish. I said, almost. The dealers and the OEM's have really only a limited vision on how a truck should be spec'd, usually based on what some idiot in a mega fleet read in a couple of industry magazines. No operation, driving style, etc is the same. I have bought off the lot. Never again. For my needs, there is literally no truck on any lot that is what I want or does what I need the best way. It is always a compromise. I have had enough of compromise and mediocrity. Now I have a truck on order that perfectly meets my needs, will comfortably obtain fuel mileage that will exceed any claims made by the OEM's, and I will not have to deal with what the OEM thinks is best for me because they "think" this is what I need to do the job.

Last edited by Copperhead; 02-26-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
my major gripe with freightliner is that all the interiors are the same!
I've thought for quite a while that someone could make money by the ton doing custom truck interiors. I haven't been in many trucks compared to most people here but every one I've been in was designed by an accountant. The last truck I drove was a new Volvo and it didn't even have a front curtain. It did have enough cabinets but somehow they managed to design them so there was almost no counter top. Making a sandwich or a cup of coffee shouldn't be a chore. And then there's the slide out desk. It had a cute little compartment that I'm sure was intended for stationary and the desk surface wasn't big enough for a laptop and mouse. Pretty funny when you think about. A stationary compartment would have been the cat's ass in 1947. I guess they don't think drivers have heard of email yet.

Yup, custom interiors designed by drivers for drivers.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I've thought for quite a while that someone could make money by the ton doing custom truck interiors. I haven't been in many trucks compared to most people here but every one I've been in was designed by an accountant. The last truck I drove was a new Volvo and it didn't even have a front curtain. It did have enough cabinets but somehow they managed to design them so there was almost no counter top. Making a sandwich or a cup of coffee shouldn't be a chore. And then there's the slide out desk. It had a cute little compartment that I'm sure was intended for stationary and the desk surface wasn't big enough for a laptop and mouse. Pretty funny when you think about. A stationary compartment would have been the cat's ass in 1947. I guess they don't think drivers have heard of email yet.

Yup, custom interiors designed by drivers for drivers.
Well, I spec'd every aspect of my interior on this truck. Premium interior. I have every cabinet that is available for the truck. Right side has lower shelved cabinet (with desk drawer) along with a tall clothes closet. The left side has lower cabinet with built in fridge and desk drawer and a tall cabinet with shelving. I also have cabinets circling around the entire upper area of the sleeper. Functional windows in both sides of the sleeper. Also Arctic insulation package and premium noise abatement package and wood trim doors on all the cabinets. Lights spec'd just about everywhere. Sleeper curtain and cab curtain. Premium stereo and speakers.

Many fleets will skimp on just about anything they can. Sleeper features get hit pretty hard. But then, many drivers are brutal on company equipment and it seems like a waste sometimes to spec high quality stuff in a company truck just to have drivers tear it up. Unfortunately, the good drivers have to deal with low spec's because of the bad drivers. And it really takes away from the value when the fleets get rid of the trucks.

Last edited by Copperhead; 02-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.