User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yea I know it's not just strait. I'm gonna sighn on with a mega carrier first and tear there junk up and if it breaks down it's there problem not mine. Yep my dad's truck is paid for it don't cost nothing for it to sit and it will still be there as well as the broker. I know I'd'e probily bang it up or some butt hole would go flying down the freeway and rip one of my mirrors off. Yes mistakes do happen
Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

stick around
ask a lot of questions.
go to OOIDA website, they have a free cost calculator, they also offer courses on various subjects pertaining to trucking.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM

You can get operating authority without a cdl but you probably will not find an insurance carrier to let you drive for your own company. I have been operating under my own authority since 96' and my ins. carriers wouldn't even let me train and hire my own sons to drive. Their requirement was always a minimum of 18 months with a perfect record or 2years over the road verifiable. You may be able to find an ins. carrier who will let you drive, but it would cost much higher than a conventional policy. I bought my first truck and trailer in 1977 and had never driven professionally before. I would never recommend doing it that way today, but since you already have the equipment, after school I would recommend leasing to someone like Malone or ATS where you could learn the art of load securement. I don't know enough about Malone or ATS to personally recommend them. I'm just saying a place to get your feet wet. I am not a big fan of letting equipment sit, it just turns to crap. Go to a good school and start off SLOW and CAREFUL, after about 6 months when you start to get the feel of it and think you know what your doing, go even SLOWER. One more important thing that has worked for me; learn to maintain your own equipment. If you don't start out with your own truck and want to learn to drive, shift, and brake really smoothly, then you might want to start out pulling liquid bulk. [chemicals not fue] Do that for a few months and you will have the smooth driving part down which would be very good for extending the life of your equipment when you do put it on the road.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Sell the rig, don't leave it sit, invest the money so it grows.
Learn trucking first, then worry about advancing into O/O.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe View Post
SLOW and CAREFUL, after about 6 months when you start to get the feel of it and think you know what your doing, go even SLOWER.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Board Regular

thanks rostyc
i did join ooida that was the first things i did. i'll be asking alot of questions as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Board Regular

learn trucking first good idea theres way to much gamble accidents others stupity ( i do need to know how to get out a situation if i get into one ) and another thing with the way the economy is is also another gamble as well

Last edited by ground_pounder; 01-11-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Board Regular

yes you can get your own authority without a cdl but it's one less hurdle. as far as insurance i can go through massey insurance to the tune of 6000 a month ( no thanks )!!! i'll probily goto werner for atleast 6 months and grin and bear it then if i feel like i'm ready to move on then i will. i'll probily go with malone or ats as they pay for my insurance except for collision thats upto me they pay permits and tags are optional thay can pay for em or you can and you make 75% of the load and the fuel surcharge varies the lady said. i will be getting my tanker and doubles and triples and haz mat endorsements so that i can specialize later on in my carreer as trucking is like any onther carreer you need to specialize!! but you are right on the insurance thing some want atleast two years of otr varifiable experiance same with buying a truck. i'm not a fan of letting the truck and trailer sit there eathier i do have a friend than can start it up for me thats retired and still has his cdl so that would be a plus when i can't be there to crank it over once a month to make sure the engine stays lunricated among other things. i will goto a good school and not a puppy mill i found out thats another plus in my ball park as some companies prefer that you goto a tech college over a puppy mill wich means more offers as i have to make myself as marketable as much as possible. and yes i will be learning diesel mechanics also in case something does go wrong i know what to do and how to deal with it