User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Buying truck/trailer in CA and Bringing to PA

I am presently looking to purchase a truck and trailer unit in southern CA and drive it back to Eastern PA. I will be driving mostly across 40, and up 81. I have everything needed (DOT,IFTA,Insurance, etc, etc) except my apportioned account (IRP). I will be purchasing from a dealer in CA. Am I able to get a "temp tag" to bring the back to PA on? I understand that I maynot be able to haul any loads, etc. Also, with that being said, does New Mexico still have their special permits? I will not be running anything outside of the North east, so anything state specific would only be for a trip use only.

Also, anyone know if I would be able to use the unit to haul a second stacked trailer back with me? I have considered buying 2 trailers, and both would be in my name. Thanks
Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I would think that the dealer in CA would be able to answer all your questions. Usually, a licensed equipment dealer will issue you a temporary permit that will enable you to get the equipment to your home state. These temp tags / permits usually don’t allow you to haul a load. The second trailer shouldn’t qualify as a load since you will own it.

Yes, NM still requires you to pay extortion to cross the state. The Weight Distance Tax can be paid at the Port of Entry.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The dealer should be able to give you a temporary tag that will get you home. You need to make sure you also have liability insurance. There are some companies that will write you insurance to get you home. I have a friend who had insurance on his truck for several months until he actually put it on the road. Even with a temporary tag you will be required to have liability insurance. It is a shame to have to buy a trip permit for New Mexico, but they require you to pay for all miles run in their state whether you are loaded or not.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 AM

Hey GMAN,

CAn you clear your inbox lol heh,

Also Madmax, just go around New Mexico, up through Utah and take 70 across,
Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I'm going to take a guess that you've never run I-70 across Colorado in the Winter and you've never had to chain up and drive an empty truck up Eisenhower Pass?

No way would anybody thinking clearly take I-70 with equipment they just bought in WINTER. I wouldn’t even do it with brand new equipment in July, but Winter??? He already said he’s not going to be running outside the Northeast in the future and running 70 across Colorado would mean he’d have to buy tire chains that he’d never have to use again.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-06-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Hey GMAN,

CAn you clear your inbox lol heh,

You wanna send him the long way home to avoid paying what? $45.00 in permits??

I-40 across to I-44. I-44 up to I-70. I-70 / I-76 the rest of the way. (Why drive through Virginia when you don't need to??)
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
You wanna send him the long way home to avoid paying what? $45.00 in permits?? I-40 across to I-44. I-44 up to I-70. I-70 / I-76 the rest of the way. (Why drive through Virginia when you don't need to??)
I'd be more concerned about spending $300 on tire chains that he'll never use again and driving one of the most challenging stretches of highway in the country for no reason. Before I’d run 70, I’d take 15 up to 80 and over if I just absolutely had to avoid running I-40; but I try to avoid running I-80 through Wyoming in the winter when I can, so for me that wouldn’t be an option either. Usually when I’m running from California to PA, I run I-40 to Exit 333 in Tucumcari and jump on US-54E. Take that over to Pratt KS and then North on KS-61 to US-50 near Hutchinson, US-50 East on over to Emporia and then I-35 north up to I-435 East to I-470 East to I-70. That’s 20 miles shorter than running I-44 and it saves thirty something dollars in tolls and is nearly as fast.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM

LOL,

Didn't even think about winter guys, I was wondering what that white stuff outside the damn window was, being up here in the Great White North I kind of got, used to it lol
Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info guys. The reason I was thinking of doing 40 to 81, was that I want to look at some trailers in eastern TN on the way, and visit family at the same time, so there is a chance, just a chance that I would be bob tailing a good portion of the way. So with that said, I do not want to chance any snow with a bobtail. I know its not the best time to make this kind of trip, but i dont have much choice. If I didnt swing through TN, I would prob work my way up through OK, KS, etc.

WIth that being said, can I get the New Mexico permit before hand, or is that going to make a paperwork nightmare down the road. I have very little experience running further west than TX, and dont need any big head aches along the way. Last time I went through Wyoming, on a two lane I blew right past the port of entry (missed the signs that wanted me to turn up some back street) so yeah, Im basically a West Coast virgin.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Thanks for the info guys. The reason I was thinking of doing 40 to 81, was that I want to look at some trailers in eastern TN on the way, and visit family at the same time, so there is a chance, just a chance that I would be bob tailing a good portion of the way. So with that said, I do not want to chance any snow with a bobtail. I know its not the best time to make this kind of trip, but i dont have much choice. If I didnt swing through TN, I would prob work my way up through OK, KS, etc.

WIth that being said, can I get the New Mexico permit before hand, or is that going to make a paperwork nightmare down the road. I have very little experience running further west than TX, and dont need any big head aches along the way. Last time I went through Wyoming, on a two lane I blew right past the port of entry (missed the signs that wanted me to turn up some back street) so yeah, Im basically a West Coast virgin.
You can register on-line

https://efile.state.nm.us/WDT_Epermits/Start_Page.aspx

for the permit itself (I think it’s just a few dollars), and then keep track of your mileage while traveling through NM and file and pay on-line at the end of the quarter (which is what I do). In your case, because you don’t plan on running in NM in the future, you might be just as well off stopping at the PoE and dealing with them there.

There’s nothing wrong with running 40 to 81, other than it’s probably a little further depending where in PA you are going. If running that way allows you to conduct a little business or see family than it is a perfectly good choice.