User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default two cheaper trailers and what to look for.

If parking is not a problem I would rather have two $6000 trailers. 53' air rides. The single most expensive thing on a trailer to replace is the floor, so as stated before a bad floor would be a deal breaker. With that being said a hole in the floor is an easy and inexpensive repair. If the rest of the floor looks strong, the hole may be just incidental and help to secure a good deal. Pay attention to the glue. When a floor starts to come apart it's usually because the glue is rotting. There might not be any holes but it won't be long. Stay away from it. Why two trailers? If you work the load boards and brokers running local, many times you get a load that delivers the next day. Mean while the last minute hot loads that pop up are usually load and go and pay well, you get to do both. This has worked well for me. If you run long, an inexpensive van and maybe a stepdeck could enable you to choose the best load available. I would not consider anything but air-ride. I would only buy a new dry van if I had a situation that demanded so and paid accordingly. One more thing, if you consistently run high miles you want a good under carriage, so as not to wear tires. Look at the slider holes to see if they're oblong, and the pins for excessive wear. It's hard to have a properly aligned trailer with these problems. These things can be fixed but it all adds up. This is just what works for me, hope it helps.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Here all this time I thought Sid had bagged out of the trucking industry! Instead he dropped the International he had and instead is showing a decent looking Classic!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Here all this time I thought Sid had bagged out of the trucking industry! Instead he dropped the International he had and instead is showing a decent looking Classic!
In his profile pic its a 9900.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

actually i'd like to buy 2 trailers being i really do need 2. i really like the duraplate trailers the more i look at them. seems the old jb hunt trailers seem to be holding up nice.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:45 PM

if I buy another trailer it will be air ride,metal roof,produce door vented,with duraplate walls and logistics posts and maybe insulated.
I have seen freight that could not be loaded with plywood walls,or fiberglass roofs.
Also on the leaky floors,be careful,water can and will wet your load if you have a bad floor.