User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i was also thinking of doing the same thing. but the way i look at it, is that by the time you get a good generator, ac, heaters etc its just a bit less then a apu. what i was thinking is: a 3000w generator (kipor) , a portable ac unit, portable heat and a battery charger. the one thing i havent figured out is how to get the vent for the ac out the window and make it so no bugs/rain/heat come in.
I didn't get a close look at just how he did it, but it looked like some plywood around the window AC unit. Didn't ask what size generator he had either. The main reason I didn't try it myself is that the generator with a gas engine will not last as long as an APU. I'm quite sure the gas engine would have to be replaced every now and then. I was weighing the difference between initial cost and replacement costs, then got out of my own truck and became a company driver. So much for the generator. Retired a while later, and not the least bit worried about it anymore.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i was thinking the same thing about the gas v. diesel for run time. but, a few months ago i was surfing ebay looking at trucks, there was a real nice classic and this guy did it right. he had the generator on the cat walk, a wall unit ac cut in to the back of the cab (and it looked pretty decent) and he had a 50 gal fuel tank that he used for gas. i can get away with that on my truck being i only have 120 gal tanks.. but what i would do is get chassis grabber frames and put the generator there. where i run in to a wall is, what do you do to keep the battery's charged? what if you have a fridge? for the winter you can use a space heater (i think) and also have the block heater pluged in.

the reasons above is why i'm leaning towards watching for a good used apu.