User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow *hell on wheels* retiring after 1 month in the trucking biz

Started new in the game 1 month ago. Spent $15k+ in fuel @ 20k miles, driver acting as o/o without having to pay truck payments, wife threated to kill me along with driver if i didnt get him up out of there. But she recruited him, wow...lol what a month for me..... Once driver was sent on his way, left with radiator leak, two missing batteries, and a flat tire on trailer..... And driver has the nerve to ask for $400 on his last paycheck , wow, really! Company grossed
$30k-$40k in 1 month, but havent seen much of a dime......but paying bills and a few steak dinners @ longhorn... Is this what i signed up for? Oh, do anyone know where a bar-b-cue is going on @, looking like thats the only way i will be able to get another steak........ Please help, help, help....give me all and any advice...
Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 PM

I don't know, sounds about normal to me?

Leaks and flats and waiting for accounts receivable are all part of the gig.

Where did the batteries go?

Using $4 gallon, that's 5.3 mpg... Is that how much fuel usually goes through the engine?

Hired help screwing around is also part of the gig.

As for your 33% spread on the estimated gross income, I hope that was for internet purposes, you need to know down to the penny what is supposed to be coming in, when, and whether you are profitable or not.

How will you know whether you need to shut down, or whether you can go for a steak dinner with a clear conscience?

Ontario, Canada
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Board Regular

From reading your posts I don't think you really know the business or even own a CDL to be able to know what you're getting into.You run a trucking bsuiness with your wife and you let her do the hiring?I assume she has never or do not drive a big truck.No one can successfully do this business until you do what your driver is doing.
Look at Merick and some Carriers on here.They drove before putting drivers in their truck.
Let me tell you how I do it.I know l when,how where all my recievables will be coming from and I also know my weekly fuel cost.I can log on fleetone's website and run a weekly report for each individual truck to see where that driver bought fuel from and also see the route he took from my Prepass route.This is in conjunction with Microsoft streets and trips.If a driver is selling fuel, I will know.I let 2 drivers go, and before they left there was no monies owed since they understood their weekly pay.

During an interview process, I mistakenly dialed the wrong # to someone I didn't want to deal with.When I realised I had called the wrong applicant, I tried to hear what he was saying.He was constantly begiing me to put him in the truck the same day since his phopne would be turned off.THE ****ING GUY IS NOW CONSTANTLY CALLING ME.I didn't like this pressure and his tone was a turn off.Once I get that kind of feeling on the phone, I never take a chance with them.I will let the truck sit without a driver in it for months.My 3 rd truck has been sitting for 3 months and I have insurance on it.I havn't found the right driver that I want.I am loking for a replica of my first driver, and who I will not replace with anyone.
Apparently, you lack this knowledge that I just spat out to you and you need a trucking 101 lesson.You had no clue of what you were doing or getting into.First mistake was letting your wife hire a driver and which I don't think she drives.Doing what me and others have done on here takes about 4yrs of trucking experience in ownership.You have never posted on here and when your ship start sinking, you come on here telling us your sad story.
BOY GO BACK TO SHCOOL!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to trucking. Do you or your wife have a CDL? If not, I am curious as to why you got into the business? Your gross sounds a bit high, especially starting out. If you did $30-40M in 4 weeks that means that you grossed $7,500-10,000 per week. If you don't know how much revenue you have generated, then that is another problem. What type of freight are you hauling? That is much more revenue than most will generate, especially their first month in business. You said that your driver acted like an owner operator. Does that mean that he was using your truck and fuel to run his own loads? You left some holes in your post. I am not sure what you you want help with? Recruiting? Collecting invoices? Finding a new wife? Finding someplace to live after your wife kicked you out?

Drivers will abuse your equipment. Some drivers will steal your fuel or anything else that isn't nailed down. Did your driver steal your batteries? Are you saying that the driver drove your truck with flat tires? It is difficult to find good drivers who will take care of your equipment and is honest. I wish that it was otherwise. Anyone who owns trucks has had this type of thing happen.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member

The guy is in ATL. Is that they guy Henboy was talking about? I'm confused about the wife threatening to kill owner and driver. Where are they supposed to get out of?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
give me all and any advice...
Never let anyone drive or work on your truck but you!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Think this is the same guy that was on here a month or so back that had all the spread sheets that showed he could get a truck (with no trucking experience) and hire a driver and quit work to do the dispatching himself. Didn't want to listen to any of the advice that was given on the stumbling blocks and how to do it right. His spread sheets showed him he would make all payments and make $$$. Think his wife was a nurse or something and could carry them thru, might be why she is going to kill him
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Is this a joke??

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Board Member

damn man.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM

I dont think this is true. If it was he would responded by now.

Tags
owner operator