User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
Following your posts and blog makes my mind work those numbers trying to convince my heart to butt a truck just to prove I can make it work. $4 a mile seems good I don't know how guys make money leased to carriers that are paying $1 mile. I especially don't know how they do it leasing a truck.
Buy a cheap reliable truck (2003 or earlier) that has just been rebuilt (with warrantly), then rent a cheap used flatbed trailer (rent; not lease). Do it for 3 months, if you can't make it, return the trailer and sell the truck.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I"m heading to Alexandria Bay NY and then east to Monreal with the 34,000 machine in the picture (10ft high). Deliver Monday....
I'll be through there tomorrow AM with the Wilson. Are you resetting at the 730?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb View Post
Following your posts and blog makes my mind work those numbers trying to convince my heart to butt a truck just to prove I can make it work. $4 a mile seems good I don't know how guys make money leased to carriers that are paying $1 mile. I especially don't know how they do it leasing a truck.
It's usually $1 per mile for ALL miles, not just loaded. Then you get a descent FSC, so they are making about $1.40 per mile for all the miles they run, and larger companies have more freight and keep you moving. Thus most guys do just fine at that rate, but I don't see how they can afford BRAND NEW trucks either. The last 3 guys I talked to hadn't gotten a paycheck the last 3 weeks after the company took out their payments and such. Crazy stuff!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
I'll be through there tomorrow AM with the Wilson. Are you resetting at the 730?
I was planning on stopping for the night in Watertown, NY. The 730 stop is a bit far. I don't have to be in Montreal till Monday.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I was planning on stopping for the night in Watertown, NY. The 730 stop is a bit far. I don't have to be in Montreal till Monday.
Watertown...WTF....you shopping at Gander Mountain? Oh well. Big spender that I am, I was going to buy you a bowl of rice pudding.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Watertown...WTF....you shopping at Gander Mountain? Oh well. Big spender that I am, I was going to buy you a bowl of rice pudding.
My next stop after that will be the Flying J in Montreal, QC. After I deliver the lift I have to find a new score pronto. Otherwise VISA might soon be sending out hitmen to break my kneecaps.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Gman, just this once you may be right

Only this once?

I think the problem is not with the trailer; it's with the AREAS where I was going. I had good rates going in but getting out was difficult and freight was very limited and pretty much typical flatbed. I'm not a flatbed, so I was at a disadvantage compared to the other guys. Now I"m staying close to home doing runs in IL, IN, PA, OH stuff like that and an interesting thing is happening: LS agents are actually CALLING me offering stepdeck loads! There's lots of freight in these areas and it's not all flatbed so I'm back to thinking good about my step. In these areas I can find specialized STEPDECK freight that pays quite well. My "edge over the competition" is trifold: I can still haul freight up to 10'6" tall, I can be legal with up to 49,000 lbs on the deck, and if someone offers a good rate I can still go to Western Canada thanks to my closed trailer tandem. Thanks for straightening me out I might turn the front axle into a slider later on still: it can be helpful with LTL and some long and heavy loads. All I need now is a couple of cheap 4' tarps so that I can move stuff like this:

Pickup: PA
Delivery: ON, Canada
Miles: 400
Freight: machinery, 25,000 lbs
Trailer required: Flat or Step
Tarp: yes
Rate: $4/mi

I am glad that you have found something that is working for you. If you run I-80 you may stop in at Sapp Bros. They have very good meatloaf. They also have a good price on pm's.