User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can a company driver get his own authority and do return loads?

I'm a company driver. I'm in the process of preparing to switch to O/O in some form but I'm at the point in my life where I dislike drama. I'd prefer a smooth transition. I'd like to stay at the company but stick my toe in the O/O pond and try and make more money.

Where opportunity knocks is that it's a manufacturing company that has it's own drivers (2) and they send us out on runs delivering their products and unless we're picking up raw materials on the return trip, we deadhead home, sometimes from as far away as 1500 miles.

They don't own their own trucks, they lease them. They do own their own trailers. Here's my question. If I were to get my own authority could I rent their truck and trailer on just the return leg of the trip and using my authority try doing some hauling on the way home? I'm thinking win-win. They would know exactly what I'm doing and their portion of the $ would be how much they collect from me for the rental and mine would be the freight hauling $ minus what I pay them for using their equipment.

If I botched up trying to explain, let me know, I'll try again. :thumbsup:
Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Short answer......NO

You would need liability and cargo insurance for the truck which is already insured by someone else, as far as renting the truck from the company, NO, not only is the lease to the truck in the companies name they don't even own it, the leasing company would have to give permission.

Would be way more complicated than it would be worth.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Maniac's right it's way more hassle than it's worth. If you are trying to cultivate some contacts for when you go out on your own you could look for loads on the load boards. If you found something that would work you could relay it to your bosses and maybe get a % for your trouble. You better make sure they pay though or else you might be paying for the truck to come home. 95% of bosses wouldn't even consider this but you never know. Basically you're being a load broker.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I thought that might be the case. The company I work for doesn't have their own authority and that's why they have us deadhead home. There must be an exception that's made for companies that just deliver what they manufacture where they don't need authority. They should really take that step though. It wouldn't be much money compared to what they waste deadheading.

I've gotten to know the people there but it's probably time to try something different.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to run under who's name is on the door. The problem you could run into is if you have a wreck. If you have a load under your authority, driving a company truck that is leased to from another company they would need to determine who is responsible. In all likelihood, everyone would get sued. The possible exposure would not make it attractive for anyone. If you want to get your authority you need to buy your own truck and trailer and do it right. There is no half way of doing this. If they had authority they could pick something up coming back. I take it that you are paid both ways? If so, it should not be a big deal since your pay is not affected by the deadhead.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

If you wanted to find your own loads for a backhaul, talk to your boss! Im sure he would rather have a few bucks coming in to offset the dead-head costs...If he doesnt/cant do the work, maybe you can work a deal with him to use his authority and act as an agent to him? Make a few extra $$.