User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tell me what you think

My oldman says I'm getting ahead of myself and doesn't want me to bite off more then i can chew.

I was looking at replacing my 04 f-350 with a new f-550 flatbed 45k. My f-350 only has 61,000miles on it. So its still have alot of life left in it. Then i got to thinking.....

Why spend 45k on a pick-up truck when i can buy a nice used tractor with that money. I might have a chance in the next 4-5months to get on a steady run hauling trash with a walking floor. Pays 23.75/ton and is around 240miles round trip. I'm not 100% sure but i think i could get 23-24tons on. So around 550/load. On good days you might get 2 loads a day. In a long day.

I'm an O/O now of a tri/axle and just got my own authority and PA PUC. But this trash hauling job would be leased to a carrier. I would still run my tri/axle and put a driver in the tractor. The company i would leased to has walking floors for rent.

I know there is alot of BS with hiring a driver. Plus i would want to do it right. W-2 and offer some short of medical benefits. For the driver. Even if its some short of low end medical plan. I really believe in if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. What would be a fair wage. Should i pay the driver tonnage or %, by the trip etc.

Like i said this is all just an idea at this point. I mean hell i only been an O/O for around 7months myself. So anyone with questions for me or can offer you 2cents please do. Thanks alot.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
My oldman says I'm getting ahead of myself and doesn't want me to bite off more then i can chew.

I was looking at replacing my 04 f-350 with a new f-550 flatbed 45k. My f-350 only has 61,000miles on it. So its still have alot of life left in it. Then i got to thinking.....

Why spend 45k on a pick-up truck when i can buy a nice used tractor with that money. I might have a chance in the next 4-5months to get on a steady run hauling trash with a walking floor. Pays 23.75/ton and is around 240miles round trip. I'm not 100% sure but i think i could get 23-24tons on. So around 550/load. On good days you might get 2 loads a day. In a long day.

I'm an O/O now of a tri/axle and just got my own authority and PA PUC. But this trash hauling job would be leased to a carrier. I would still run my tri/axle and put a driver in the tractor. The company i would leased to has walking floors for rent.

I know there is alot of BS with hiring a driver. Plus i would want to do it right. W-2 and offer some short of medical benefits. For the driver. Even if its some short of low end medical plan. I really believe in if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. What would be a fair wage. Should i pay the driver tonnage or %, by the trip etc.

Like i said this is all just an idea at this point. I mean hell i only been an O/O for around 7months myself. So anyone with questions for me or can offer you 2cents please do. Thanks alot.
is this out of Harrisburg by any chance? if its running on to long island its NO money.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If I were you, I would wait a bit. You haven't had your authority that long. Things change when you start hiring drivers. You seem to be doing fairly well with your current deal. Your expenses and headaches will more than double once you get the other truck and start hiring drivers. You should expect the worst. I hate to sound like a pessimist, but it is better to expect the worst and be surprised in this situation. Have you considered how you will deal with the truck breaking down? You will be driving the other truck and may not be available to go check on it. Remember, ALL trucks break down. It is only a matter of when.

If you do decide to buy another truck, I would run the numbers and make sure of how much you can make running those loads. You should consider how much you will actually net. I would check on trailer rental, insurance or any other expenses that you could incur running those loads. If it all still looks good and you still want to move forward, you might talk with Papa Rick. He has a W900 daycab that he wants to move or trade for a sleeper. At least he did.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm with your father on this one.....
Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
is this out of Harrisburg by any chance? if its running on to long island its NO money.
No the trash is leaving philly and going to hegins pa.

Well i got some time to think about it. I might just back off alittle and stay with my 1 truck for another year and see what happens.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

How would you go about getting the trash hauling yourself?? Or is it like a contract thing to only 1 trucking company?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

mackman i looked in to it on long island, you got to call transfer stations. but its almost impossible to get.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
mackman i looked in to it on long island, you got to call transfer stations. but its almost impossible to get.
Yes that what i was thinking. One of them things, Its all in who you know. Or you need 50 trucks.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

My 2 cents, and I'm not an O/O, is that it would be hard to pay a driver and still show much profit on the truck. I suppose the truck would be getting paid off on someone else's dime at best. A long time O/O once told me 2 trucks is the fastest way to go broke. He said either have 1 truck or 4+. It sounds to me like you make good money plowing snow with the F350, AND you enjoy doing it. Could you make more money with a tractor than you could just staying with the plowing? If anything I could see maybe a second dump. That way you could keep it busy on the same jobs as you, and keep a better eye on your truck and the driver. Plus it would be in a business you know and understand.

BTW, what would you do with a 550 flatbed? I mean besides hauling broke down Chevy's. :rofl:
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post

BTW, what would you do with a 550 flatbed?
He would use it to haul all the stacks of money he has LOL!