User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What way do I go?? Newer truck or a trailer

I have been trying to decide on what route to take with the business. As most of you have seen, I am on a dedicated run. Currently i get Fri Sat Sun off, but just one line shut-down and my schedule moves to however many days it takes (say they close for 2 days, now I will deliver on Fri instead of Wed)

This leads me to my delima. I like my run, tho it is getting very boring driving the same road everyday and seeing the same crap. This is also in part that my truck is not spec'd to do OTR work either (99 FLD flat-top w/36" sleeper, 10spd and 3.90 rears) I have 2 different routes to take and was wondering your opinions....

1.) Buy a newer truck with better specs and bigger sleeper. I'm currently looking at a 2006 387 w/C-13 430hp (same as my current S60) 13spd and 3.55 rears. 516k miles, new tires all around and brakes, O/O gauge package and full carpet. It will cost me roughly $25k with trading in my current truck

2.) Buy a 48' Flat and keep my current truck and do more local work. Seeing I live in NW Indiana and all we have are steel mills and plants around here. I'm currently looking at a 2008 48' Retinour (sp?) w/fixed spread and full alumnium deck w/nailers. It will cost me $20k out the door with new tires and brakes also.

If I go with the flat, i will have to buy a rack and all the equipment too. i will lease to Landstar to start off and get the wagon paid for, then prob go off and do my own authority.

I like the fact that I can choose my loads, run local and work when I want with the flat, but I also have only 5mos experience doing it.

Only bill I have is my house payment and it's only $900 month, plus all my utilities. Pick-up and bikes are all paid for already, so i don't need to work too much.

I thought that I should go the flat route as it would be easier to sell a complete ready-to-go set-up (truck and trailer) if I decided to get out and do something else or go company.
But with my dedicated gig, I have a guranteed paycheck and know what I'm doing and the loads are VERY light so less wear and tear. And upgrading to a newer Pete is a big plus, and if I wanted, I could always lease on somewhere else and do whatever as well.

I have no problems tarping or doing laborous work, in fact I would welcome it as opposed to the sitting on my ***** for 10hrs a day holding a wheel.

So what do you guys think is a better route????

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 02-04-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

So if you buy the flat, you're planning to give up the tanker gig? Sounds like a choice between running local and OTR...not really an issue of equipment, but lifestyle. Only you can answer that question.

I would buy something more geared toward OTR, put a driver on the dedicated gig and do the local flat stuff yourself in the current truck. Given what you've said about that run, it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent driver and still make some coin. You don't need an '08 flat to do what you're talking about. Local radius so close to known shops; home all the time so you can stay on top of maintenance. Do your homework and put in the legwork finding a solid piece and you can find a good trailer for less than $10,000.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Board Regular

You are certainly in a good area for steel, but I'm not sure Landstar does much of that, maybe I'm wrong. There are other carriers who do alot in your area who allow you to run the way you want to. Or maybe you just used steel mills as an example of the industries near you.

no worries is correct, you can find a serviceable flat in good condition for much less. I will say however that the Reitnouer "sliding" tie down brackets are a big plus and I hope my next trailer has them. If you consider an older all-aluminum trailer, be advised that stress cracking can be a problem.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, it is more a choice of being home or not. I have wanted to do flat work for some time as it is really the last thing I haven't done in our industry yet.

I was using the mills as an example, but i know some people who are with LS and they looked up the freight in MY area and there was plenty staying local. Not just coils or plates but all kinds of stuff.

As for the trailer, I know i can get a cheaper flat, but that trailer is extremely nice, with the winch tracks, auto-air system to the tires, and they were going to put a brand new Merrit side-box on it for me too.

I tried the "driver" thing and all it ever was, was problems and wear n tear on my truck. I don't like other people driving my equipment anyways.

I wouldn't mind buying another truck, but the problem is getting someone elses issues with a used truck. I know what I have, and how it runs, and whats been done. The truck is in perfect running condition and needs NOTHING but the doors adjusted (freightliner thing) but on the other hand, the pete is very nice and clean and would prob get just as good MPG if not better than I am now..........
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok so if I understand the situation correctly, you are currently home every night in your day cab but that has changed and now you need a bunk but you like your truck? Can you put a bunk on your day cab? If not, you are stuck with getting another truck I guess no matter which decision you make regarding your gig.

Aside from the issues with your truck, you also have a decision on your gig. If it were me, I would stay with your current gig as long as the money is there and as long as you can stand it. It is a job and after all it is about the money. There are no guarantees out here on your own, as I'm sure you know.....but may have forgotten.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Ok so if I understand the situation correctly, you are currently home every night in your day cab but that has changed and now you need a bunk but you like your truck? Can you put a bunk on your day cab? If not, you are stuck with getting another truck I guess no matter which decision you make regarding your gig.

Aside from the issues with your truck, you also have a decision on your gig. If it were me, I would stay with your current gig as long as the money is there and as long as you can stand it. It is a job and after all it is about the money. There are no guarantees out here on your own, as I'm sure you know.....but may have forgotten.
It is not a day-cab truck, it has a 36" sleeper. It is a great mechanically sound truck, and perfect for local stuff (tho I'vee been running 2700 miles a week in it) just not set-up for OTR work with the gearing, and lack of space. Also, the pedal set-up doesn't quite suit me. When i was in-out of the truck 20times a night doing local container work, I had no problems, but now I sit behind the wheel 10hrs a day and it's taking its toll on my knee and physical condition (weight gain due to lack of movement)

Like I said also, right now I leave Mon and get home Thurs night, but one line closure at the plant and it switches my days off to whatever it falls on, for example they shut donw for 3 days... I would now have to leave on Thurs and get home Sun. I need weekends off for personal life situations.

I'm not like most of you, I can't live in a truck. I need friends and a wife, not a cb and lunch table talk LOL. At some point I would like to start a family too.... I dn't have many bills, and the thought of only having to run 5 days a month is very apealing to me, compared to the 16 I do now...... and yes, i know some of you are out 3-4 months at a time, but I can't stand to.

It is more of a personal thing, but as I said, maybe a new tractor with a bit more room, softer ride (damn Arkansas roads) and better cruising speeds would make it more enjoyable? But then like I said, I do the EXACT same thing every week and see the same roads. Also I get the tax advantage as I just found out I owe Uncle Sam another $10k for 2010 since I have nothing to write off as far as a payment or depreciation. That is another leading factor as to why I was looking to change it up a bit.

I appreciate all the info you guys/gals can give me tho. I know I can do ok local with a flat, but I can also do just as good with a truck doing my gig....... tough decision
Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I have been trying to decide on what route to take with the business....
1. Keep the dedicated run.
2. Hire a driver
3. Buy a tricked out Pete.
4. Buy a trailer.
5. Work for Landstar 2 days a week doing local work.

or: Sell the dedicated run together with the truck (if it's possible) and follow steps 3,4 and 5

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Oops... you already wrote you don't want to hire drivers. You can always upgrade the truck to a faster axle ratio and rebuild the sleeper, to make driving more comfortable. But I know how you feel about driving for 10 hours and getting bored: that's why I quit Van work and switched to flat/steps. It's a more varied and interesting work, and you get to exercise at least once in a while.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Board Member

"the thought of only having to run 5 days a month is very apealing to me..."
I must have missed that part....how are you going to do that? What is the net take home pay goal after all expenses and before tax in the 5 day per month scenario?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
"the thought of only having to run 5 days a month is very apealing to me..."
I must have missed that part....how are you going to do that? What is the net take home pay goal after all expenses and before tax in the 5 day per month scenario?
I only need to clear $3000 a month bring home to pay ALL my bills and have money put away for other stuff........ I figured if I could do the runs I know someone does right now with LS for $1,000 a trip each week (thats to the truck after LS cut), I'd be good. He runs US Steel to Toledo, OH and back with a 48' flat hauling 2 refinished coils @ 41,000 total weight

But I think I have made up my mind to just upgrade my truck to the Peterbilt I was looking at. It will be paid for so i won't have a payment and if I decide to quit or go flats, I still can. But in the meantime I can keep my gig till it drives me crazy. But who knows, I may love the new truck and just decide to keep on chuggin along!