User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is a nice looking trailer. Something with a floor would be more flexible. If you get a RGN you are going to be much more limited in what you can haul. If I were planning on buying one with three axles, I believe that I would opt for one with a 3rd flip rather than fixed. If you see that you won't be needing it you could eventually detach it. If you do need it, by having it flip you will save a lot of wear and tear on your tires. Keep in mind that you will be pulling a lot more weight around with a double drop over a step.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
No, we're talking about TRAILER axles. Having 3 axles on the trailer in US and Canada gives you a higher weight rating.
sorry tracer here low bed trailers mainly 3 axle rows 8 wheels cart bout 60 tonne put dolly under front for heavier loads that off top of head ,madill log hauler need dolly
Old 01-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
...If you get a RGN you are going to be much more limited in what you can haul....
Here's one of these loads from our LS board

Origin: Ontario
Destination: Texas
Miles: 1660
Rate (gross, to LS): $4.14/mile
Revenue: $7,000
Load: 24' long, 9.8' wide, 10.9' tall
Load weight: 52,000 lbs
Trailer required: tridem RGN ("LOW3")

I could do a load like this! The only thing I"m not sure about is the TRUCK! If I hook up to a 3 axle detach and I have regular axles on my truck (12,000 steers plus 40,000 lb factory rating on the drives), can I legally move a 52,000 lb load? Anyone knows? I do see lots of tandem trucks pulling tridem RGNs but maybe they have 46,000 lb drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If I were planning on buying one with three axles, I believe that I would opt for one with a 3rd flip rather than fixed. If you see that you won't be needing it you could eventually detach it...
I do have a 20 ft long balcony at my condo apartment, so I guess I could park the flip axle there, but unfortunately I've just signed a sale agreement with a local realtor, so soon the apartment (and the convenient balcony) will be gone

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

We have 3 double drops...two are fixed neck and one is a 35 ton 48'L x 96"W mechanical detachable tandem with a 29' well.

Ask that Landstar guy how many 3 axle RGN's there are around with a 29' well......answer ZERO. At least I have never seen one and I have been looking for 2+ years. It would have to be 53' and your king pin distance/wheel base would be huge (i.e. illegal and you would technically need to permit it for length and wheel base even when empty) Closest used one you will find I think is a 48' tandem with a pin on or flip up third.

Yes you can gross more than 80,000 in the US with a 5 axle combo. You can permit the weight up to the weight limit on the tires. We tare ~35,000 with our RGN and a 2008 KW T660. IIRC I've been permitted for 90,000 in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, PA, NY & ON.

I don't like to pull the heavy stuff...our tractors are all 12 & 40 rears but it can be done in a pinch.

Definately get the upper and lower decks.

I would only consider mechanicals. I don't want to mess with a wet line or power packs on the trailer.

Make sure it has out riggers.

You'll need 5th wheel ramps on the tractor.

Ours is a 1995 that we bought locally for $14,000. Spent another $1,000 on steel and ~40 hours of labor welding in all new cross members. Then put tires and brakes on it. And rewired it. And put a new deck on it. Probably have $20,000 in it.

I generally get a minimum of $4 per loaded mile around the northeast but it is usually much more than that. Moved a load today from Campbellford to Ottawa. Legal dims x 28,000 lbs. $1400 on 150 - 190 miles depending on the route.

The 3rd axle gives you ~16000 more carrying capacity on the rear axles, but it adds to your tare also so there are pros and cons.

Last edited by rank; 01-29-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
We have 3 double drops...two are fixed neck and one is a 35 ton 48'L x 96"W mechanical detachable tandem with a 29' well.

Ask that Landstar guy how many 3 axle RGN's there are around with a 29' well......answer ZERO. At least I have never seen one and I have been looking for 2+ years. It would have to be 53' and your king pin distance/wheel base would be huge (i.e. illegal and you would technically need to permit it for length and wheel base even when empty) Closest used one you will find I think is a 48' tandem with a pin on or flip up third.

Yes you can gross more than 80,000 in the US with a 5 axle combo. You can permit the weight up to the weight limit on the tires. We tare ~35,000 with our RGN and a 2008 KW T660. IIRC I've been permitted for 90,000 in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, PA, NY & ON.

I don't like to pull the heavy stuff...our tractors are all 12 & 40 rears but it can be done in a pinch.

Definately get the upper and lower decks.

I would only consider mechanicals. I don't want to mess with a wet line or power packs on the trailer.

Make sure it has out riggers.

You'll need 5th wheel ramps on the tractor.

Ours is a 1995 that we bought locally for $14,000. Spent another $1,000 on steel and ~40 hours of labor welding in all new cross members. Then put tires and brakes on it. And rewired it. And put a new deck on it. Probably have $20,000 in it.

I generally get a minimum of $4 per loaded mile around the northeast but it is usually much more than that. Moved a load today from Campbellford to Ottawa. Legal dims x 28,000 lbs. $1400 on 150 - 190 miles depending on the route.

The 3rd axle gives you ~16000 more carrying capacity on the rear axles, but it adds to your tare also so there are pros and cons.
It's hard to decide what type of trailer is better. Each one has its pluses and minuses. I don't like pulling heavy stuff either. I like dealing with wheeled or tracked equipment like the one I brought from the plant in IA to QC: it was a Case (I think), 34,000 lbs, 10'6" tall. It was a bit too massive and too tall for my stepdeck. A basic RGN with 2 axles would be ideal for that load.

Here's a question for you rank If you were downsizing and could leave only one truck and trailer, which one would you take? RGN or Step?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

That's a good question LOL. I've thought about that many times and I've always come up with the same answer. I would keep them both and I would have a cabover with ~230" wheelbase that would allow me to haul 60' steel beams on a 53' and still be legal length. I like my 53' low deck step and I like my RGN too. Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much you want to be home. With an RGN, brokers almost expect to pay DH. You can almost sit at home in the GTA and wait for a load with in 300 mile radius and the rate will be good enough to cover the DH to PU provided you don't have to pay a driver.....caveat...I am talking own authority there....not a O/O.

Last edited by rank; 01-29-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much you want to be home. With an RGN, brokers almost expect to pay DH. You can almost sit at home in the GTA and wait for a load with in 300 mile radius and the rate will be good enough to cover the DH to PU provided you don't have to pay a driver...
When I sold stuff at Future Shop at the Electronics Dept, I always hated selling cheap stuff. I remember they paid $3 or something like that if I sold a wireless phone (regular type, the one you use at home). This was in 1999 or 2000 and many people were hazy about the technology, so it took half an hour to show the customer all 20-30 models we had in stock and explain "what's the difference between this one and that one?" kind of questions. I hated selling such cheap stuff. On the other hand, I could spend the same amount of time and sell a CELL phone for Bell or Rogers and my commission was close to ... 30 bucks for just one phone.

The reason I mention this is because that has always been my preference in business (be it retail sales, real estate, or trucking): I'd rather work 3 days a week, do 1 trip and make $5,000, than work 7 days a week, do 5 trips that pay $1,000 each.

From what I understood from your answer to my RGN or Step answer, I believe I should get a RGN Why work harder than you have to. I won't have a driver. I'll be driving the rig myself. And my truck is paid off. The only problem is soon I'll be homeless as I'm selling my condo in Guelph, ON. The plan is to get a cheap house in 2-3 years with a plot of land somewhere in the country where I can park the truck and trailer when I'm home.

So, an RGN with a 29' well cannot be a tridem, that's clear. I guess our brokers want us to have a TANDEM RGN with a 29' well and then have an OPTION of adding the third axle when required. Then you take out a permit because there's no way you can be less than 41 ft from the kingpin to the middle axle.

Float King in Erin ON makes nice RGNS with air detach. I talked to them but I don't know the price yet. I posted the pictures in one of the first messages in this thread.

Watch my YouTube videos

Last edited by tracer; 01-29-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Rookie

there are some people who get RGN's with the the third axle and install a lift kit on it. they have the axle pinned down and when they are loaded and need they axle they hit a switch and it lowers to the ground, when they are empty they flip the the switch, and the axle can raise off the ground. i think this is a pretty slick set up because if you have a light load but its tall or a little bulky you can put it in the well, and you will still have space on your other two decks to put on an ltl, and you don't have to worry about having your axle flipped up and taking up space on the rear deck.

if it were me personally i would get the third axle because it keeps you open to different loads that can pay a little better. you said you like hauling wheeled or tracked equipment, having the third axle would allow you to haul those pieces that are to heavy for a tandem trailer but arn't quite heavy enough for a lowboy and a tri axle trailer. i would all get a RGN that is expandable that way you can also be able to handle loads that are tall and long and be able to fit them in the well. as far as trailers are concerned i see most people go with Fontaine or XL trailers. most of them are mechanical detach, but some come in hydro., i would keep it simple and stick with the mechanical, it help keep weight down and also help with your well space.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Rookie

also look up a company called xaak they are from canada and they pull mostly RGN and step decks, they have a photo gallery and it shows pretty good pictures of the different things you can do with the trailers.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monale770 View Post
there are some people who get RGN's with the the third axle and install a lift kit on it. they have the axle pinned down and when they are loaded and need they axle they hit a switch and it lowers to the ground, when they are empty they flip the the switch, and the axle can raise off the ground. i think this is a pretty slick set up because if you have a light load but its tall or a little bulky you can put it in the well, and you will still have space on your other two decks to put on an ltl, and you don't have to worry about having your axle flipped up and taking up space on the rear deck.

if it were me personally i would get the third axle because it keeps you open to different loads that can pay a little better. you said you like hauling wheeled or tracked equipment, having the third axle would allow you to haul those pieces that are to heavy for a tandem trailer but arn't quite heavy enough for a lowboy and a tri axle trailer. i would all get a RGN that is expandable that way you can also be able to handle loads that are tall and long and be able to fit them in the well. as far as trailers are concerned i see most people go with Fontaine or XL trailers. most of them are mechanical detach, but some come in hydro., i would keep it simple and stick with the mechanical, it help keep weight down and also help with your well space.
One guy posted on my Blog a comment about expandable RGNs. He had one himself and said such trailers are extremely heavy. He was around 44K empty (!) with his Pete. A lift-up rear axle is definitely a great thing to have (you don't have to ask the shipper/customer to move it with their forklift) but I'm still trying to figure out the maximum low deck length. I can't wait till Monday when I'm going to call the LS agent who gave me some good advice on RGNs and him how can you possible have a tridem RGN and a .. 29' well?

Watch my YouTube videos