User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Getting Authority, what to expect???

Getting ready to file for and get my authority, talked to OOIDA today and doesn't sound too hard to do. My question is could some of you walk me though, and let me know what to expect.

I have been an O/O since Sept 2006, but hauling logs, so I have my DOT number, been through a compliance audit and didn't get any write ups, but I know that getting my authority and start hauling this is gonna be different, so looking for advice and suggestions that will help me in the very near coming future.

Will be pulling Dry Van

1. What happens and who all starts calling you when you get your MC Number?

2. Which Load Boards ranked #1 and #2 to use. I have to wait until I get my MC # before I can sign up on them.

3. How do you know how to check on Brokers or Agents who are giving you loads to know they will pay as promised.

4. How do factor companies work, and what is the normal rate they charge?

5. What are some things that when you first started out you wished someone would have told you, instead of finding out the hard way.

6. Does anyone know much about hauling containers? Talked with Comtrak, but don't have a sleeper right now.

7 How about CH Robinson and Landstar?

I realize this is a long list and know there is alot that you only find out by doing it, but hoping that I can cover some of the bases before I step out.

Still undecided about either trading or stretching my Truck, but I really appreciate the advice and suggestions everyone gave me.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Board Member

1. What happens and who all starts calling you when you get your MC Number?
Everyone calls. Insurance salesman, drug consortium salesman, software salesman etc............ you name it.

2. Which Load Boards ranked #1 and #2 to use. I have to wait until I get my MC # before I can sign up on them.

I use Truckers Edge. I've heard there is some more local stuff (for my area) posted on Getloaded but so far I've had good success with only one board. Also some brokers have their own boards that are free.

3. How do you know how to check on Brokers or Agents who are giving you loads to know they will pay as promised.

Truckers Edge has a credit check feature that costs you an extra 15.00 a month. When you look at loads the credit score will be right beside the brokers name. When you click on the brokers name all their info will come up. Address, MC#, how long in business, past credit scores etc....

4. How do factor companies work, and what is the normal rate they charge?

Try not to factor, A lot of brokers have fast pay that would be much cheaper than a factor but try not to do fast pay either. That adds up quick.

5. What are some things that when you first started out you wished someone would have told you, instead of finding out the hard way.

Nothing I can think of after I left the broker I was running for. I wish I had a little more guidance when I was shopping for a truck but that doesn't pertain to you situation.

6. Does anyone know much about hauling containers? Talked with Comtrak, but don't have a sleeper right now.

I've talked to a few that mentioned money, I didn't like numbers they were spitting out.

7 How about CH Robinson and Landstar?

I do quite a bit for CH. Despite their reputation of cheap and heavy they will pay when they need something moved. Actually they're at the top of my list to haul for as far as paying on time, treating me with respect, relaxed atmosphere and the ease of paperwork. Once you commit to a load that's it, there's no confirmations to fax back. They email me the confirmation, I check it for accuracy and send it in with my bill after the load. Here's the thing though.. Do not haul cheap for them. I do think they keep track of what rates you have taken in the past. I've called on certain loads, given them my number, and the guy would say "you're not gonna want this it's cheap." That's happened a few times, might just be coincidence but might not.

I've only done two loads for Landstar and both have been just recently. There ok.