LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
party pooper :moon:
Yea i am. Im not man enough to be a BBR. I will leave that up to you die hards. I like my 20mile hauls lol

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Mackman, Did you say OOIDA only charged you $170 to file for your own authority. Looks like I need to give them a call. I've been thinking about getting my own and running local here around the house. I got a quote from progressive on the INS. runs about $670 a month for the total package bobtail, physical damage, cargo, etc..
ANYONE EVER HEARD OF RUNNING YOUR POWER UNIT ONLY UNDER YOU OWN AUTHORITY? CAN YOU MAKE DECENT CHANGE LIKE THAT?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
Mackman, Did you say OOIDA only charged you $170 to file for your own authority. Looks like I need to give them a call. I've been thinking about getting my own and running local here around the house. I got a quote from progressive on the INS. runs about $670 a month for the total package bobtail, physical damage, cargo, etc..
ANYONE EVER HEARD OF RUNNING YOUR POWER UNIT ONLY UNDER YOU OWN AUTHORITY? CAN YOU MAKE DECENT CHANGE LIKE THAT?
Hey, i did the power unit made alright money. I was averaging 1.40 all miles. The problem i had doing this is , your competing with co trucks. They would load all the co trucks first, and then give you the crap loads. I would not do the power unit again. Having your authority and doing the power only dont mix. The co will make 20% no matter how much the load pays. You dont have a choice on where you want to run. If i was you i would lease to someone, having your own authority and no trl= headaches... just my .02
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Board Member

I have been wanting to run local for a while now, and too have been contemplating this. Living 30 miles from Chicago I figured I could get a lowboy and move machinery and equipment once or twice a week around here and make enough to pay the bills (since I dont have any LOL) but that cost of INS is a bit high for my liking to be comfortable.... but sounds like Mackman has a sweet set-up going there. Too bad I don't live down that way, the dump industry goes on lay-off basically from Nov-Mar around here unless you want to haul salt to the highway garages, which I did one winter. It's no fun having 12T of salt frozen in the nose of your 40' frameless when it's all the way up. Then you get to climb out with a shovel and try to break it out at negative 30*..... no thanks!!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Xcarsaleman,

Ok thanks for the info. It was just and idea. I think i can lease a trailer from dealer until i save up enough to get my own. I've seen some really cheap dry vans, but I would rather have a reefer or a car hauler. Either way it goes I was thinking of the power unit only thing as a start...>