User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
i got a 75,000 truck with 8,000 down. Payment is 1480/month for 5 years. But i have a+++ credit.
I got a $64,000 truck with $3,000 down because the dealer put down $6K more. Some of the dealers are desperate to move their trucks. My payment was $1,585/mo and at the time of purchase my credit was so-so. I just finished paying for the truck this November. Be wary of trucking companies that have both company drivers and owner-operators: all the good loads will go on company trucks.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
$0.04 per gallon fuel discount at Pilot/Flying J (paid at the end of each month)

(snip)

As for what I would be responsible for, maintenance-wise, on the truck is only the windshield and tires. Anything else with the truck is covered 100% by the maintenance fee. Of course, any work done to the truck would have to be done at one of their shops, or at a shop approved by them.

Having driven there now for a little over 6 months, I know that with the trucks they have, the lanes they frequent and the type of freight, getting 7.0-7.5mpg is a definite possibility. I currently get 7.2mpg in the Prostar I'm in and I don't even try. I've done a spreadsheet comparing my current pay (before taxes) with what the same miles would get me as a l/p operator. The first 11 weeks I would see an average of a $50/week drop in pay, because of the 2290 & the security deposit. After that, I would go to almost identical pay. The following year (after the base plates), I would be averaging about $100 more per week.
Okay, you would be getting gouged on the Qcomm and the "fuel discount". I drive for a fleet with 350ish trucks and average 10-15 cents below pump price almost everywhere, and sometimes 30+ cents below pump price (particularly when the price of fuel was very high). Celadon is much larger and gets much better discounts, so you're getting bent over several different ways here -- another way is that they hold back the "discount" until the end of the month instead of including it with your settlement each week. The Qcomm is their equipment, their requirement and should be their financial responsibility.

The bigger issue is making $100 a week by your own numbers more than a company driver. You give up paid vacation, health care, 401k match, etc that a company driver receives for $5,200 more per year. Please get some quotes on (what you consider to be) decent health care lined up before you jump on this opportunity, you may well find that a good plan costs more than the $430 per month that you are making "extra" by taking advantage of this opportunity.

I am at the 2.5 year mark of a 4 year lease myself and the minimum I would even consider is 10 cents per mile more to take all the risks and responsibilities in this circumstance. I am fortunate enough to make 15 cents per mile more than our company drivers over this time period so thus far I have been satisfied with the experience, but no way in hell would I take a hundred bucks a week for all the extra work and risk.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=JR OTR;490104]Okay, you would be getting gouged on the Qcomm and the "fuel discount". I drive for a fleet with 350ish trucks and average 10-15 cents below pump price almost everywhere, and sometimes 30+ cents below pump price (particularly when the price of fuel was very high). Celadon is much larger and gets much better discounts, so you're getting bent over several different ways here -- another way is that they hold back the "discount" until the end of the month instead of including it with your settlement each week. The Qcomm is their equipment, their requirement and should be their financial responsibility.

The bigger issue is making $100 a week by your own numbers more than a company driver. You give up paid vacation, health care, 401k match, etc that a company driver receives for $5,200 more per year. {QUOTE}

I wonder how the Arrow drivers felt knowing they had all these benefits.