User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post

There are things I do love about the business, and things like anyone else I could live without. I've done a lot of different things when I was younger, and honestly outside of being gone from my family so much who are my world...I wouldn't trade this trade for ANY of them.
That's why you've made, as you stated, "many attempts to get out of trucking".

Quote:
I agree with what you said, I do see how once you are an O/O with A LOT MORE responsibilities and mandatory expenses and payments you ARE in fact CHAINED to this job, however with being the big dog there IS more freedom in it than being a company driver.
No, there isn't. There's just a new set of risks and responsibilities that could easily break you. Especially in this economy.

Quote:
Being an O/O like ANYTHING on this earth, is what you make of it isn't it? If it weren't true, than why would ANYONE become an O/O?
Honestly, many do it because they have that same starry look in their eyes that you do. I know I sure did when I bought my truck.

Think your home time sucks now? Wait until you are forced to stay out on the road because freight sucks and you have a payment to make. And by the time you make it, your other bills you were putting off come due. And oops! You just blew a drive tire.

If you don't have the cash on hand to cover several month's expenses, you've failed before you started.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Just a thought, I have a 99 FLD120. It needs nothing, I run it 2500 miles a week currently and it's ready to rock with new brakes, tires, water pump, radiator ect.... 350k on a rebuilt detroit. It is a flat-top and has a very small sleeper, but it would get ya started and should go a full year w/o repairs since I've done about all of it. $13,500 cash price.

Just a thought for ya.
Run it for 1 year and save your payments then buy a bigger rig next year with cash.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM

Roadking, I understand your passion to become a O/O. Trust me is takes a lot to run this business and be successful. To be Honest Nothing really changes once you sign the dotted line for that truck. if you ask me its more stressful, esp if your still leased to a company who is going to run you like your one of their trucks. My advice to you would be this. Understanding what you have stated her, I would say the first or the 2nd truck that comes available to you weather or not it a volvo or a pete or etc. I would jump into it. Like GMAN said they all do the same thing, some do it better and cheaper than others, but keeping that payment under $1000 is essential to being profitable. if you ask me $1500 is way to much for your first truck, once you factor in bobtail, License and registration you probably looking @ $2500 a month give or take.I would prefer a truck note around $750 -1100 max. This way I can keep my cost low.

I wouldn't suggest any classes to you, but I would say change your way of thinking. To be profitable, your cost of business has to be low. The shiny trucks look good but they are also expensive to fix. Few people get into this business with brand new equipment and become profitable right away. With the information you've provided us, I believe your best bet is to start with a reasonable truck and reasonable payment. Not saying volvo 780 isn't reasonable, but that truck is about $64,000-70,000 used with less than 500,00 miles. With no credit history and no real money down your looking @ $1700 month for 48 months, give or take. that expensive for your first truck. You can always trade up. Once you get in and learn the ropes of the o/o game you can get what ever you want. I have and 2004 century old JB hunt truck and with a few chrome pieces and some soap and water my truck looks just as good as any other truck on the road. It does the same job as that shiny pete i'm parked next and my MPG is much better to.

Just some food for thought..

I had a volvo 780 on loan from the company I'm leased to about 3months ago. I was running up to NY from AR. When the damn radiator hose went Ka-boom. Now I was just across the state line in NJ from Pa, MM-5 less than a mile from the TA and a Volvo dealer ship. Low and be hold Volvo was closed and it was only 8:30 and the TA didn't have the right hose for the engine, because it was a volvo engine. So I had to spend the night @ volvo and wait till 2:30pm the next day to get the hose from volvo, they didn't even have the hose in stock. I was told that most volvo dealers are not 24hrs and they usually have a road-call service but it all depends on what part of the country your in. Lucky me I was less than a mile from the dealer so I didn't need the road-call. when I returned the truck to the company I told him he could keep his volvos way to much hassle for a hose. If I was in my freightliner I could have had that truck fixed and delivered that load on time. I said all that to say this, one of the major factors into buying a truck for me is how easy and fast can I find a repair shop. How hard is it to get parts for that truck.

Best of luck to you my brother. All should work out for you as long as you keep that work ethic and play it smart with your finances..
Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't have a whole lot to add but I will say this Roadhog, you better be sure this is what you want because it's a lot of responsibility. As is any business if you going to make a go of it. You can go broke just slowly enough that you hang on too long.

Be very careful and put a lot of thought into your decisions as you move forward with this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Rev."
And oops! You just blew a drive tire

Heed that warning Roadking.
Back in February of this year when work was already slow (flatbed) and other maintenance costs were piling up, things around the house were breaking and the bills were getting overwhelming............. my motor blew and I needed a rebuild. It was, at the time, a knockout punch for me. That was another 13 or 14 thousand on top of what I had accumulated already. Not to mention down time. I had a recent oil sample that came back perfect so it was totally unexpected and unwanted.

I can't remember if you're married or not, if so talk it over fully with your family because they might have to give up things while you're establishing yourself as a new business.

Just food for thought. Good luck if you decided to pursue your venture.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the 'good luck' wishes and advice Toby and Rosty. Yeah, I know that with business ownership there is more stress and more responsibility. Before I started driving a truck I used to have my own small floor covering business, so I do know all about the pros and cons. I know that there is potential for more money though if you work hard, and run your business smart. I just feel if this is what I'm going to to (drive truck), then I'm going to make the very most of it that I can in every way. Thanks EVERYONE who has chimed in on this for your words or advice and wisdom.