User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Don't start partsing it out! You'll be stuck with junk that nobody wants and then may be have to pay to have it hauled away. Sell it on Ebay you never know, I've sold some stuff on there and got more than it cost new.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Just FYI.... make sure your batteries are good and the starter is most likely the culpret. I too had a autoshift in my IH and had lots of problems with it, EATON even replaced the whole damn trans under warranty and I still had problems. New wires, ECM, cables, batteries and it still acted up. Finally I replaced the starter and it worked perfectly fine. Just some FYI.....

If you don't want to spend the $$$ to fix it (it does have a crap ton of miles) then toss it on Ebay, I can see you getting $5,000-$6,000 for it.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
My thoughts are if you don't think you will use the truck then there is no use in keeping it and allow it to deteriorate. There is nothing worse on a truck than letting it sit.
I know the feeling.... my 99 FLD sat in my driveway for 2 years with the turbo and manifold removed. I don't know how but by god's good graces, I put the new parts on and she fired right up...... ran a bit rough thru the 2yr old fuel so i added some Lucas to it for the next 3 fill-ups and she is my daily work horse now... 9mpg and floats down the road. Replaced all the tires and brakes (rust-jacking) and good to go. I have no cluehow i pulled it off LOL
Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I know the feeling.... my 99 FLD sat in my driveway for 2 years with the turbo and manifold removed. I don't know how but by god's good graces, I put the new parts on and she fired right up...... ran a bit rough thru the 2yr old fuel so i added some Lucas to it for the next 3 fill-ups and she is my daily work horse now... 9mpg and floats down the road. Replaced all the tires and brakes (rust-jacking) and good to go. I have no cluehow i pulled it off LOL
I'm surprised the wheel seals didn't leak.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Install a EOBR and your rates will go up.
:lol:

I also might threaten to have Steel Horse Cowboy come down and smear cheeseburger on their office windows if they don't pay me what I demand.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I have been staying fairly busy. I could have done more but had to take 4 weeks off with my wife. Rates are not what they should be but we still have freight to haul. Rates are not flat, but there are still many who try to move their loads for $1.50-1.70/mile. I turned down a load going to the Bronx for $2.25 this morning. It isn't enough considering the tolls and deadhead. So far they are having difficulty finding any takers. I don't know about flatbed freight being hot this year. A friend of mine was getting better rates with a van than I was with my stepdeck the first quarter. Initially, I thought that Arrow would have had much more of an impact than it did. When you stop and consider the number of trucks on the road, Arrow was nothing more than a blip. I felt that the psychological impact would have helped, but with the economy being down so low anyway it didn't seem to have a noticeable impact. We have been doing very little with the military this year. I seem to be hauling everything but military lately. Menlo Logistics took over much of the military shipping and killed some of the rates to the point where it isn't worth hauling. Menlo is a division of Conway.

I am not killing myself running, but am having some good weeks. Hopefully, the freight will hold up for a few more months. We usually see a drop off in the winter for flats and steps.
Man, I'm just so unplugged with everything. What's an oil change cost nowadays? No idea. Price of fuel? I just go to any TA Rates? I just know my rate, 30 cents per practical mile (32 cents per rip off mile, but I like to go by the actual rate). Yeah, I know that's a low rate, but it's all no touch, great lanes, and there are all of one companies with a hub 3 miles from my house.

I guess I should have know about the impact of Arrow, I just remember Landstar was pushing flatbed hiring when I was considering them again last spring.

I hear you on the wife, God bless her. I'm glad to hear you're working, too.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Don't start partsing it out! You'll be stuck with junk that nobody wants and then may be have to pay to have it hauled away. Sell it on Ebay you never know, I've sold some stuff on there and got more than it cost new.
The guy wanted to come by with $4,000 cash today, I just told him I decided to keep it. I'll probably get to work on ebay and Craigslist this week. I did find a guy willing to give me $5,000 and let me keep all the tanker stuff, but he needs to tow it to Ohio and all the while he's driving his own truck. Doubt he'll be able to put all that together.

Part of it is just all this tanker equipment. The new price on the hoses alone is over $1,000. I know when I pulled tankers, I'd have been very interested in anyplace I could find a like new 3" hose for maybe $100. So, there is potentially some profit in tanker parts without stripping down the tractor itself. Appreciate the advice on parting it out, too. Hey, it could be I should have taken the $4k and closed that chapter so I could start another. Gotta make decisions, sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Just FYI.... make sure your batteries are good and the starter is most likely the culpret. I too had a autoshift in my IH and had lots of problems with it, EATON even replaced the whole damn trans under warranty and I still had problems. New wires, ECM, cables, batteries and it still acted up. Finally I replaced the starter and it worked perfectly fine. Just some FYI.....

If you don't want to spend the $$$ to fix it (it does have a crap ton of miles) then toss it on Ebay, I can see you getting $5,000-$6,000 for it.
Starter is new, must be the starter solenoid. And the transmission, something called XY shifters, something like that. May do the ebay.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

It doesn't sound like you're needing to squeeze every last bit of value out of it, you just don't want to feel like an idiot for letting it go too cheap. If it were me, I'd just want the thing gone. Ready to move on and the last thing I need is a truck cluttering up the drive. I would take off the tanker gear and try to sell that separately. Guys in that niche know what it's worth and will know a deal when they see it. Otherwise, set yourself a deadline, put ads in all the usual places, including Truckpaper's free 3 weeks...maybe run an auction. I'm sure you'll be leaving money on the table, but it doesn't sound like it's truly the money that's the issue.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
It doesn't sound like you're needing to squeeze every last bit of value out of it, you just don't want to feel like an idiot for letting it go too cheap. If it were me, I'd just want the thing gone. Ready to move on and the last thing I need is a truck cluttering up the drive. I would take off the tanker gear and try to sell that separately. Guys in that niche know what it's worth and will know a deal when they see it. Otherwise, set yourself a deadline, put ads in all the usual places, including Truckpaper's free 3 weeks...maybe run an auction. I'm sure you'll be leaving money on the table, but it doesn't sound like it's truly the money that's the issue.
This is a great post, you're somebody who really understands me. Indeed, I do just want it gone, but I don't want to be lazy about it. We had an old pickup out in the drive and I wanted that gone, too. I was going to put it on Craigslist for a $100 and somebody said put it up for $300. It sold the first day for $250.

For awhile now, I've wondered if I might find a "future" buying and selling on places like ebay. My instinct is to shy away from negotiations- just take a job and get a paycheck and be done with it. I see that "shyness" as a weakness, not something to give into, something to overcome. I know if I had dependents, I'd be motivated to fight for them, an extra buck is an extra buck for them. I don't have dependents, though. I don't want to be lazy about something that has value, not getting the value out of it.