User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
Do you think you could get someone who would do a good job and stay in your $37,500 budget? Don't forget you get to pay SSI and Workmens Comp and unemployment out of your $37,500.
I think I could get somebody who would do a better job than a dispatching service for $37, 000 all inclusive, no problem... and I could train the person the way I wanted, AND I could have him or her do all my other office work to boot. In Southern Illinois $30k a year is considered a pretty good job.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I think I could get somebody who would do a better job than a dispatching service for $37, 000 all inclusive, no problem... and I could train the person the way I wanted, AND I could have him or her do all my other office work to boot. In Southern Illinois $30k a year is considered a pretty good job.
Sounds like you got the plan that will work for you.

I don't want the hassle of hiring someone and doing the "babysitting" you have to do when you have a employee. I can call Donny 24 hours a day if I have any problem and he is there to help. He is worth 10 times as much as what I pay him in commission.

Donny owned grocery stores in Mississippi until he sold out to the larger chain grocery store and retired in Montana. He works out of his home with his wife and is always available to help.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
Sounds like you got the plan that will work for you.

I don't want the hassle of hiring someone and doing the "babysitting" you have to do when you have a employee. I can call Donny 24 hours a day if I have any problem and he is there to help. He is worth 10 times as much as what I pay him in commission.

Donny owned grocery stores in Mississippi until he sold out to the larger chain grocery store and retired in Montana. He works out of his home with his wife and is always available to help.
Sounds great, just probably not for me. I do a lot of things differently than others. I don't even factor loads. I know, it's a hassle doing accounts receivable, but I like keeping as much of my money as I can in my own pocket. I have what works for me right now, as I have already said. If it's ever proven to me that I will put more money in my pocket by giving seven percent away to somebody else, then I would gladly make the jump to a dispatching service. Until then, or until what I'm doing becomes less profitable for me, I'll keep plodding along doing everything myself. There's plenty of others who do things differently though. There's nothing wrong with having a dispatching service, if that's what makes you happy.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Sounds great, just probably not for me. I do a lot of things differently than others. I don't even factor loads. I know, it's a hassle doing accounts receivable, but I like keeping as much of my money as I can in my own pocket. I have what works for me right now, as I have already said. If it's ever proven to me that I will put more money in my pocket by giving seven percent away to somebody else, then I would gladly make the jump to a dispatching service. Until then, or until what I'm doing becomes less profitable for me, I'll keep plodding along doing everything myself. There's plenty of others who do things differently though. There's nothing wrong with having a dispatching service, if that's what makes you happy.
How many trucks do you have? I work from my home as Independent Truck Dispatcher. If you just need dispatch service with no paperwork then i can dispatch your trucks for flat fee of $500/week up to 3 trucks. Currently i work mostly on east coast specially from NJ/NY/PA to GA/AL/TN. But i can work on your preferred lanes. Let me know if interested. I work hard to cover trucks and negotiate the best price for my trucks.

Thanks,
Rohan!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Rookie

Instead of paying anywhere from 5 to 10% or more for a dispatching service, not to mention all the costs of your own authority, ins etc etc. We decided to lease our trucks on to a company like RoadMasters. If you have more than 2 trucks you can lease on as a outside terminal agent. As an agent you receive 83% of 100% of the gross for every load for each truck. So basically for 17% its like having a dispatching service(we have a huge, very strong construction and oilfield customer base) you run under our authority, bond, cargo and liability insurance is included, and also the unmatched name and respect in the industry. We have been in business since 1978 and we can haul for almost all of the good shippers and are very well known for the excellent service we provide to drivers and customers. We take all the credit risks and pay trucks weekly regardless of when or if customer pays. We do all of the accounting and billing etc. Several other benefits and ways the company will help the owner ops just starting also. My wife and I have been doing this 17 years and we know where the money is and how to get it Flatbed and heavy/oversized, if you ain't in it, get here quick.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMasters Transport View Post
Instead of paying anywhere from 5 to 10% or more for a dispatching service, not to mention all the costs of your own authority, ins etc etc. We decided to lease our trucks on to a company like RoadMasters. If you have more than 2 trucks you can lease on as a outside terminal agent. As an agent you receive 83% of 100% of the gross for every load for each truck.
And if I have only one truck? What if I have my own trailer? 83 percent of what? 83 percent of $2.50 to $3 a mile sounds good, but 83% of $1.80 doesn't sound so good. Additionally, empty miles and total number of miles makes a big difference as well. Three dollars a mile and only 1,500 miles a week would bankrupt me. So would $3 per loaded mile and 2,500 miles a week if 700 of those miles are empty and therefore unpaid. Do I decide how much I work? I like to go out for three to four weeks and run hard and then take two weeks off. Can I do that without management getting twitchy on me?

It sounds like it could be a good deal, but there's just too many factors in play that could cause what appears to be a golden egg to really just be a spray painted turd. I'd definately need more information before even thinking about making a jump like that.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Rookie

Hello y'all, I am new to this site and new to the trucking industry. I grew up riding in my grandfathers truck, it was amazing. There is just something about that big old truck that fascinated me! I am new to working in the industry. I am kind of a cross between an independent dispatcher and a truckers right hand assistant! There are a lot of truckers in my family growing up and I always wanted to find away to be get involved. Since I cant drive I wanted to help in some other ways. I know how important their job is and how valuable their time is so I found a way that I could help them and make some money. I joined the site hoping I could meet some great new people, learn about the industry so I can better meet the needs of my clients and hopefully make some new friends!
Melanie
Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Hi Scott how are you , I can definitely help you out. Whats your contact info so we can speak. or call us at 972-248-3617
Old 10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Hi Scott how are you , I can definitely help you out. Whats your contact info so we can speak. or call us at 972-248-3617

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrissel View Post
Hello,

Is anyone using a 3rd party dispatch service running under your own authority? I don't want to lease to someone and I can't justify/afford a full time dispatcher for only 3 trucks.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-scott
Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Rookie

Dispatch services are not for professionals . Real hotshotters that succeed sell themselves and their services . The ones that come in asking where to find loads don't last six months. Yes , the best of them use brokers but once they demonstrate profesionalism with their service the brokers call them with the good loads that don't go on the boards.