User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for someone to let me know about purchasing a used truck

I've been out of trucking for the past 6 year's and I'm wanting to know more about purchasing a used truck with low mile's. I've never been an O/O just a company driver.
I know there's been alot of changes in the trucking industry since I left concerning the new law's with emission's and other thing's. I'm hoping to find an owner operator that can take a little time and give me information about what I've missed and point me in the right direction.
I'd like to buy a somewhat newer truck that would be compliant to the new law's and another thing fuel mile's per gallon. like spec's, motor's, tran's, etc...

Thank's for any help in this matter and I know we all have to work so I'm not concerned about how long I need to wait to hear from some of you.
Allen, Deland Florida
Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM

1st off, buy from a reputable dealer. Both Volvos I bought (my '01 I bought in '05 w/ 538,000 miles and my '06 w/510,000 miles) were bought from Volvo dealerships. The 1st one was from Old River Volvo in Jackson, MS area. They are right next door to Total Transportation of Mississippi, who formerly owned the truck.

My latest Volvo (a 780 I got a great deal from Roberts Truck Center in Garden City, GA. It had previously been a US Xpress lease truck. It cost only $34,700.

If I can refer you them, let me know!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Look up Kevin Rutherford and buy one of his DVD's obout buying a truck what to look for and what to pass on. Some guy's on here and other sites don't like him cause (shudder ) he wants money for his products! he's go a website that competes with CAD so I won't name it.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've been out of trucking for the past 6 year's and I'm wanting to know more about purchasing a used truck with low mile's. I've never been an O/O just a company driver.
I know there's been alot of changes in the trucking industry since I left concerning the new law's with emission's and other thing's. I'm hoping to find an owner operator that can take a little time and give me information about what I've missed and point me in the right direction.
I'd like to buy a somewhat newer truck that would be compliant to the new law's and another thing fuel mile's per gallon. like spec's, motor's, tran's, etc...

Thank's for any help in this matter and I know we all have to work so I'm not concerned about how long I need to wait to hear from some of you.
Allen, Deland Florida

You didn't mention whether you plan on leasing to a carrier or run your own authority. Due to the length of time you have been out of the business you may find it difficult to lease to a carrier without taking a refresher course. If you plan on running your authority that could also be something of a problem for the same reason. Carriers are placing more demands on drivers due to insurance company requirements. If you have kept your CDL up that may not be as much of an issue.

The main changes in the last few years involve emissions and the hours of service. CAT no longer makes an engine for class 8 trucks. They are supposed to be making the new International engine but Naivest is putting their own emissions and fuel system on the engine, so I understand. You can no longer idle in some states. The main one is California. They even have their own CARB police to go around and give out tickets to trucks that are idling. New Jersey, New York and a few of the other communist states also have anti idling laws. They are usually not as energetic about enforcing it as California, but most will write a ticket for non compliance. California also will not allow older reefers in the state unless they are retrofitted. At least I think that you can still retrofit them. They also won't allow older trucks into the ports and I understand that shortly you won't be able to legally enter the state with an older tractor. You could buy a truck with one of the newer EGR engines, but most have had quite a few problems. Personally, I would opt for an older pre EGR engine. At this point, there are no laws which require owners to achieve a certain mpg, but they are working on it. If you are looking at spec's, I would get a truck with around 445 hp and 354 rears and either a 10 speed or perhaps 13 speed. I prefer CAT, but others have their preferences. I do get decent fuel economy with my CAT engines.

The hours of service have changes several times since you last drove. We are waiting to see how they will once again change them to suit MADD, etc., When the dust settles we may only be able to drive 8 hours per day and either a longer reset or none at all, if these people have their way. With states being broke, you can expect a greater likelihood of being inspected than a few years ago.

The feds are throwing more and more rules and changing some of them on a regular basis. There are new rules starting next year called CSA 2010. It basically involves drivers now being held accountable by having their own safety score, much like carriers. Drivers can accumulate points against them by even getting a warning ticket under the new rules. The industry is anticipating to lose about 275,000 drivers when these new rules come into effect. Drivers who have a high BMI or body mass index, may be required to get a sleep apnea test in order to keep their job or to stay in the industry. They will usually be required to have this test at their own expense. I would expect to see fewer obese drivers when this gets going. I have spoken to a couple of drivers who have already been required to take a sleep apnea test by their carriers. You can read more about CSA2010 by doing a search.

It is a rapidly changing industry. It is sometimes difficult to keep up with all the new rules and regulations. You can find out a lot by reading through some of the older posts. We still have a lot of owner operators on the forum and a number of those running their own authority. Things change. We either adapt or find something else to do. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the comment's and I still have my CDL with Haz. I'll never give it up unless I'm too old to drive...
Anyway, can anyone tell me about how much is owning your own authority cost's? I might possibly lease to a company that I worked for in Texas (American Eagle Line's) as a company driver. I think they'll put me on. Do you think I should wait to think about buying a truck after the new rules about CSA take effect? I'm planning on doing this not right away, but after I have alot more fact's so I can make a right decision. I want to pay cash with no payment's on the Tractor. Hoping to find a custom Pete when I start looking. What is the year of truck that comply's with the California law's.
Thank's again; Allen
I hope to hear more concerning O/O's information.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to hear that you plan on paying cash for your truck, Allen. It is the best way to start out, especially in a troubled economy.

It costs $300 to get your interstate authority. It is a one time charge. The biggest expense in running your authority is insurance. For just the liability and cargo I pay less than $4,000 per truck. But, I have a good safety record and clean mvr. I have a good track record with NO claims. Starting out you will likely have a higher premium. There are a number of factors which determine your rate. Other than your mvr they will also check your credit and see where you plan on running, type of equipment you pull, what you haul, etc., Where the truck is based will also be a factor. I have heard of premiums as high as $36,000. I would say that most people will pay somewhere between $6,000-8,000 starting out as long as your mvr is clean and you don't live in a high risk state. Each of us will likely pay a different premium due to how they calculate rates. Your premiums should go down after the first year as long as you don't have any claims and can keep your driving record clean. You will also need to pay for your base plates and permits. Whether you run your authority or lease to a carrier, you will likely need to allow for this expense. I paid over $1,400 this year for my base plates. I would say that the average for most states will fall somewhere between $1,100-1,800. They can vary from one year to the next. You can pay more or less depending on the state in which you base your business. I have heard of some paying over $2,500. If you do decide to run your authority and base in Texas you may want to get your Texas intrastate authority along with interstate authority if you plan on hauling some loads originating and dropping in Texas. It costs $200 for Texas authority. You will need to have registered agents in each state in which you plan on running. There are services which charge an annual fee. If you are a member of OODIA, they will do this for you at no charge.

I am not sure why you would want to wait until after the CSA 2010 starts to buy a truck. It will affect you whether you are a company driver, owner operator or run your own authority. It will impact all of us in this industry. Some will tell you that CSA 2010 has already started, although they keep postponing the actual start date. They still aren't sure how it will be implemented nationally. That won't stop them from starting. After all, we are talking about the government. They make rules and regulations and then worry about whether they will actually work or be practical. If you want to buy a truck I would not let CSA 2010 prevent it. Whether you decide to buy a truck or not I would use other factors to make my decision other than some new rules the feds are coming out with next year. Besides, they are also planning on changing our hos again.

I don't remember the cut off on age of trucks for California. It is supposed to be an EGR engine which began sometime during the early or mid 2000's. Older trucks are already prevented from entering some of their ports, such as Long Beach. Someone else may recall the minimum year model required to enter the state. You may be able to find out by going to their website. There is a lot of freight to haul in other states without going into California that pays more without the hassles.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Rookie

GMAN, I think your a great help in these matter's, I see your comment's all over the forum with O/O's. This is the only forum that interested me since I'm thinking of O/O and I'm new here.
I praise you for helping the average driver as myself/THANK YOU
Old 09-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are most welcome. I am always glad to share some of my experiences.