User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Annual inspection certificate (Canada) for a US plated truck?

I just had my truck and trailer inspected by a Landstar approved shop near my hometown in Ontario, Canada. I got the inspection sheet back and then remembered my Ontario annual inspection on the trailer was expiring at the end of the month. Asked around if the Landstar inspection was a substitute for the Ontario one, and everybody here says, "No; you have to do 2 inspections!". So, I went to MTO site and found this:

"Annual safety inspections are conducted by many of the garages licensed by the Ministry of Transportation. When the vehicle passes inspection the garage will place a sticker on the vehicle and provide an inspection certificate. The certificate should be carried in the vehicle when travelling outside Ontario. The inspection is valid in any Province or State for 12 months after the month of inspection.

A vehicle may be operated in Ontario if it is displaying or carrying valid proof of compliance with the inspection requirements of any Canadian jurisdiction or the applicable United States Regulations. "

According to this last paragraph, a truck inspected in accordance with US Regulations does NOT require an additional Ontario inspection. Am I right or am I wrong? My truck will have US plates (Landstar) while the trailer bears my own Ontario plate.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's familiar with Canadian regulations.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 09-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would check with Landstar's safety department. They are very familiar with the rules and regulations on both sides of the border. If they don't already know they should be able to provide a name or phone number of someone who could answer your questions. So, you are going to be a BCO? Will you be doing orientation in Canada or the U.S.?

For the record, when I ran Canada I never got a Canadian inspection. I did keep my U.S. inspections up to date.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

You can buy the US stickers at most truck stops or from JJ Keller.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Board Regular

if you are running ontario plates on the trailer, then you will need an ontario safety inspection sticker on the trailer, simple as that.

and the truck will need whatever is required for that state those plates are from.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Board Regular

you just need a licensed mechanic to fill out and sign the paper and of course the sticker for the trailer, it could be the mechanic who did the landstar inspection, he may just want an extra fee for the sticker.