Michelin XDA and XZA2 Energy

Any experience with either??
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

XZA2 energy is an all position tire and very hard to find.

XDA energy tires are available in 22.5 low profile only, but they have a really good rolling resistance number.\\

If I was you, which I most certainly am not, I'd either wait for the new "enhanced EGR" motors to prove themselves, or go with something else. Have you physically seen one? They're an absolute mess under the hood. Just to do a valve set you have to drain the coolant and remove tons of emissions equipment that is on TOP of the motor.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post

XDA energy tires are available in 22.5 low profile only, but they have a really good rolling resistance number.\\

If I was you, which I most certainly am not, I'd either wait for the new "enhanced EGR" motors to prove themselves, or go with something else. Have you physically seen one? They're an absolute mess under the hood. Just to do a valve set you have to drain the coolant and remove tons of emissions equipment that is on TOP of the motor.
I am locked into a time line to get this part of the company up and running. I need to be operational by January and on task by June. I think that waiting for what is new and exciting is going to be a very time consuming sport in our industry. They change the rules as quick as they design the trucks.

This is getting like computers. The moment you buy one, it is obsolete. Everything except the payments. They never go out style.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

XDA energy tires are available in 22.5 low profile only, but they have a really good rolling resistance number.
I need low profile tires for the loads I am carrying. The white reels in the pict are almost 15 ft 6 inches high from the ground to the top of the reel.

In New Mexico, where they go, 15 6 and higher require a pilot carl. So a low profile tire is a necesity. Bad enough that I can only haul them during daylight hours in the US.

By the way, there are many bridges in Denver that are right around 15 ft 6 inches. Makes for an interesting drive. I was almost ready to dump the tractor air suspension at one of them.

I had to sit in Trinidad Colorado for 24 hours while they poled the route to Melaga. Fun, fun.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Senior Board Member

So then the XDA energy tires fit the bill perfectly for the drives. I've had good luck with the XZA3's on steer position, I usually get in between 350,000 and 400,000 kms with about 5-6/32nds left.

Just curious, does the trailer have 17.5 wheels?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So then the XDA energy tires fit the bill perfectly for the drives. I've had good luck with the XZA3's on steer position, I usually get in between 350,000 and 400,000 kms with about 5-6/32nds left.

Just curious, does the trailer have 17.5 wheels?
I am pretty sure the trailer has 22.5 low profile tires. It is brand new and I have not really had a chance to see it yet for more than a few minutes. I am picking it up on Wednesday and loading it for my first trip with it. It is a 48 ft drop deck Retenour, all aluminum with a complet logistics kit on it and set up for over dimensional loads. The firm we are hauling for bought it for me.

I like Michelins and I am inclinded to go with the XDA's on the drives and XZA's on the steers. Unless I hear something better about the GoodYears.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 PM

Are u hanging out in Lone Star Texas?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain binder View Post
Are u hanging out in Lone Star Texas?
At least long enough to take a picture...
Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver View Post
GMAN, for every trucker that would not go into California, 20 willl. It is the nature of the beast.

Unfortunately, you are right, RockyMtnProDriver. I still fail to understand why so many drivers are adamant about going broke by hauling in and out of California. The rates are just not there for the most part. Some of these owners will haul for $0.75/mile if it takes them to California. To me it isn't worth the extra hassle or expense. I used to enjoy running California, but it seems that every time you turn around they are coming up with some new CARB regulation. It would be one thing if it were based upon real science. Even some of their own people now dispute the validity of the science or pseudo science used to pass all those regulations. I think that it is a matter of not wanting to admit that they jumped the gun or made a very expensive mistake when they began implementing these new laws. Besides, they are likely making a lot of money by implementing them. If they admitted that it was all a ruse they would probably find themselves in a huge class action lawsuit or at least some would file suit against them to recover their money. Some might even try to recover the cost of compliance.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Unfortunately, you are right, RockyMtnProDriver. I still fail to understand why so many drivers are adamant about going broke by hauling in and out of California. The rates are just not there for the most part. Some of these owners will haul for $0.75/mile if it takes them to California. To me it isn't worth the extra hassle or expense. I used to enjoy running California, but it seems that every time you turn around they are coming up with some new CARB regulation. It would be one thing if it were based upon real science. Even some of their own people now dispute the validity of the science or pseudo science used to pass all those regulations. I think that it is a matter of not wanting to admit that they jumped the gun or made a very expensive mistake when they began implementing these new laws. Besides, they are likely making a lot of money by implementing them. If they admitted that it was all a ruse they would probably find themselves in a huge class action lawsuit or at least some would file suit against them to recover their money. Some might even try to recover the cost of compliance.
I think that it is a Darwinian thing. Those that can think they make a buck in this buisness by underpricing their services fail. Wether they are a single person or a huge company. The single person does it because they want to be "truckers" first, and buisness men second. The companys fail because they make bad buisness decisions.

Those that understand that there are two sides to this. The buisness of hauling freight and the freedom of being an independant trucker and do those in balance (sometimes it is 50 / 50 and sometimes it is 90 / 10 or 10 / 90 )are the ones who do well.

I know lots of independants who fail misserably, but I know more who do well. It is the same highway, the same trucks, the same hours, the same fuel price. The only variable is how they see the buisness side of what they do.

But that goes in all buisness's. Some people belong as buisness owners and some belong working for those buisness owners. Not everything, is for everyone.