User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default D.O.T. Air Pressure Maintain Question, Revisited

OK, so I had a brain fart because I 1st thought the 2 gauges in my lower right of my dash were for axle temperatures (this is exactly how my old Volvo was set up).

But... my new truck DEFINITELY does not have a gauge showing how much brake pressure is applied. So how is it possible to verify if my truck meets of fails to meet the D.O.T. air pressure maintain requirement? Or is it not a requirement anymore?

Or am I just too nit picky? :angryblue:
Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Board Regular

you don't need an applied brake pressuse gauge to do that test anyway.

just turn off engine and hold brake pedal for the time limit and watch if the main air gauges drop too much!

many many trucks do not have the applied air gauge, its an option to get it.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
you don't need an applied brake pressuse gauge to do that test anyway.

just turn off engine and hold brake pedal for the time limit and watch if the main air gauges drop too much!

many many trucks do not have the applied air gauge, its an option to get it.
But depending upon how much pressure you apply, the air drops proportionally. So if have no clue how much pressure you apply, results vary tremendously:hellno:!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
But depending upon how much pressure you apply, the air drops proportionally. So if have no clue how much pressure you apply, results vary tremendously:hellno:!!!
It must have been awhile since you did a leak check/pump down. The procedure is in any DMV CDL Manual. It does not require an applied brake pressure gauge(Which is not require in an air brake equipped vehicle), but require using the air pressure gauge.

After turning off the engine and releasing brakes, you let the air pressure stabilizes then watch for a minute for any pressure drop. Then apply firm and steady pressure to the brake pedal and watch for a minute any pressure drop. The pressure drop allow for brakes off is 2 psi single, 3 psi for 2 vehicle combination, 5 psi 3 or more vehicle combination. The pressure drop allow for brakes on is 3 psi single, 4 psi for 2 vehicle combination, 6 psi 3 or more vehicle combination.