User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default KansasDeptOfRevenue threatening

You ever get those letters asking for payment of property tax? This time they say I have 5 trailers and 5 tractors and owe them $3,996, $1,332 which is a penalty for not paying before, or a penalty for something. I wonder if 5 units of each is their default if you ignore them. I have one tractor and one trailer and have clocked VERY few miles in Kansas. My equipment is registered in California. It seems if I do get them to see that I have less equipment they may say fine, pay us for that.

You who have your authority, PLEASE tell me how you handle bills from Kansas. You do get them don't you? I have no intention of sending them four grand. Will this require me to stay outta the state or what in the world are the consequence of ignoring them?

Thanks so much for any info or pointing me in the right direction.
Someone must've wrote articles on this or something. My thought on this is that they want to make money on truckers but are too cheap to do it like Oregon, so they send out bills.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Nebraska Trucking Association - green sheet (??)
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I had gotten a bill from them although I had no mileage in their state and I wrote it on the bill and sent it back to them, never heard nothing from it, I belive that was in 2007
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What you are talking about is a property tax that Kansas attempts to levy on unsuspecting carriers. It is a complicated formula using the assessed value of the equipment that ran through the state and is a percentage of the miles run in Kansas compared to the total miles run for the year. I pay property tax in my own state for my equipment so I don't see why I should pay Kansas. The tax is illegal, but some continue to pay it. I have a friend who paid it one year and routed around Kansas after that time. I haven't run through Kansas in some time due in part to this tax. I will pay any legitimate tax, but this one is really crazy. They want you to pay a property tax on equipment that is not even based or tagged in Kansas. I would like to see more people fight this tax. Of course, the easiest way to handle it is to send the form back with no miles run and no tax due. Can you imagine if every state assessed the same tax? It would be a nightmare for carriers. They would need to go back and look at each truck in their fleet and check miles in each state, assess the value of that equipment and then compute the tax. :hellno:

Last edited by GMAN; 08-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Rookie

So it seems my mistake is having KS miles on my IFTA quarterly. Right? I think that will never happen again.

That link that I posted from the Nebraska orginization in my second post above, seems to be saying that KS sent out fake bills to get info from carriers. Is that what you think it says? I was already suspicious that they sent me this fake bill for 5 tractors and 5 trailers so that I would start up negotiations and try to straighten things out, and end up paying them money; as opposed to ignoring them, which is what I guess that all O/Os do.

My idea is to round file the whole thing and go about my business as usual. If some one here has any other ideas or know of a reason that I shouldn't take that route, or know of any rother easonable source for advice, please speak up. Thanks.