User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Questions To Those With Two (2) Fuel Filters

On my old Volvo, I had a single, self-contained fuel filter that was mounted kind of low, near the left engine compartment frame, and a water separator (that had a removable, cone shaped screen inside) on the right side of engine, that I daily drained via a valve, in case there was any water or crud.

My new Volvo has the same filter as the 1st one described, but instead of a water separator, has on the left side of engine, a filter with a see-through dome that has a replaceable cartridge (says "382" on the side).

I'm used to changing my own fuel filters when dashboard light came on, indicating it need to be done. I was able to easily prime new filter with fuel before installing, and using the little hand/finger pump to prime it the rest of the way.

My questions:

(1) Which of the two filters will clog & need to be changed more often than the other?

(2) How do you prime the filter with the see-through dome?

Thanks!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

That see thru filter dome is the Davco 382 primary filter. It has a lever on the bottom to drain the unit when it is time to change filter. Then you unscrew the cap off the top of the dome, then remove the collar that holds on the dome part. Then you can replace the filter, which will also have rubber gaskets to replace the ones on the collar and the top cap. Then you reassemble the unit and pour diesel in the top up to a little over the bottom of the filter and replace the top cap.

You should get the Davco filter wrench to make the job an easy one. You can get them at most truck parts outlets or online. Get a couple of them (they are not expensive) in case you were to lose one. Keep one in the truck for emergency.

The Davco will more likely clog before the secondary filter, but when my Davco needs changing, I go ahead and do the secondary as well. That is what is nice about the Davco unit.... you can see when it is time to change instead of just changing on a specific interval. That way you are not throwing away a filter before it has been totally used up. If you have clean fuel, I have seen the Davco filters go beyond 60,000 miles before needing changing.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
That is what is nice about the Davco unit.... you can see when it is time to change instead of just changing on a specific interval.
Thanks, Copperhead!

Yes, my single Volvo fuel filter on my old truck was nice that way; the light on the dash coming on when it was time to change was a nice way of preventing changing a perfectly good filter. I generally changed it within a few thousand miles of the warning coming on.

It is weird, because when when I got my truck in 05/05, typically filter would need changing around every 15K miles. Then there was a rash of dirty fuel for several months, where they would only last only 7 or 8K.

Lately fuel has been much cleaner, where 25K is the norm. :clap: