User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I Fought the I.R.S. Regarding the 2290 Tax & WON!

I went to the Orlando area I.R.S. Office to transfer my 2290 tax (since I'm paid up thru June of 2011) from my old truck to my new truck. The I.R.S. lady tells me that if I've put 5,000 or more miles on my old truck since June 1st (which knew I had), I get NO refund of my old truck tax.

I left the I.R.S. office very dismayed. My Permits Dept. person at my company previously said I could transfer 2290 tax from truck to truck.

So I pulled into a nearby 7-11 parking lot, and read over the 2290 brochure. I found it said that if EITHER (NOT ALL!!!) of 4 conditions applied (selling vehicle was one of them), I was indeed entitled to a refund.

So I go back to I.R.S. Office. I speak to a different lady. Instead of listening to me explaining that EITHER case applies, she automatically backs up the 1st lady, and says I can't have more than 5,000 miles on old truck.

I firmly explain to the lady that I "know I'm right" on this one. So she then calls the "1-800 Tax Help Line", and speaks to somebody there. He straightens her out, and I get a refund from the old truck, that applies to the new one. :lol::lol::lol:
Old 08-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Awesome! Goes to show you, don't just lie down and "take it". Congratulations and thanks for posting. It's always nice hearing when someone prevails when they're right.