User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default BEWARE OF PETERBILT in RENO, NV

I had my power divider replaced at the Peterbilt Dealer in Spark, NV (RENO) and everything was ok..... or so I thought. 3 months later, I go to get a 3 axle alignment and the tech tells me my power divider is "locked in" so I climb in the cab and it's not. I flip the switch a few times and I can hear the fork moving but not much sound as there should be.

I take the truck down the road to the Peterbuilt dealer and they tear into it and turns out the guy installed the piston backwards!!!! The service manager was blown away by the stupidity. He said that it's even in Petes books that after servicing the divider they are too jack up the truck and check free spin, which they obviously did not.
So after all is said and done, I drove 18,000 miles with the damn divider locked in. Luckily the trucking gods have been smiling donw on me (first time EVER) and I did not burn-up or blow it apart. Honestly, nothing changed in the ride or the feel. I did however notice it was tougher to turn in some cases but I also had just put on new tires so I never thought about it.

Long story short, it cost me another $225 in labor but I was just under the 90day workmanship warranty in Reno so I have filed a refund request to the dealership. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens and how much greif I get about the refund.

If your in a major need for repairs in Reno, go for it, but if it can wait... take it elseware
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Board Regular

I don't think it was locked in, in 18,000 miles of dry road and summer heat something would have happened. It doesn't matter where you get your truck fixed anymore, the quality of work is on a downhill slide. You got a mechanic equivalent to a "steering wheel holder"

Last edited by Heavy Duty; 08-11-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

That's right. Another problem is if the guy that screwed up may end up moving to another Pete dealer and you go there end up with him again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
I don't think it was locked in, in 18,000 miles of dry road and summer heat something would have happened. It doesn't matter where you get your truck fixed anymore, the quality of work is on a downhill slide. You got a mechanic equivalent to a "steering wheel holder"
Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, the service manager wrote me a nice letter and refunded me my repair costs and also had me take it back and have it looked at again.

It was DEFFINATLEY locked in...... no doubt about it there!!!!! I just got super lucky. Even the dealership was worried something was wrong so the Reno dealer had me take it back to my Pete dealer and have the rears removed just incase to check and everything was fine.