LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Load Agent?

Anybody using a load agent?

If using one what are the particuliars?

I got my own authority a couple weeks ago and started using a agent. It has been working out great in the first 2 weeks.

Just wondering if what I am doing is about the norm with what everyone else is doing.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think you are talking about a dispatch service. Some who have their authority use them and others do not. I think that most people who run their authority rely on their own contacts rather than an outside service. I have been able to keep myself moving without using a service. In fact, I have offered dispatch services to others who run their authority. It can take a lot of effort to keep a truck moving with decent paying freight.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Senior Board Member

What do the dispatch services charge?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

They charge different rates. I charged 10%. You can find rates from 5-15%. There are also those who charge a flat rate per week. I have even heard of some who charge a flat rate per load booked. Those usually charge whether you run or not. A dispatch service can work for those who want the freedom of running their own authority, but don't want to deal with finding loads and negotiating rates. It is almost like having a dispatcher, but you are still independent. You still decide whether you want to haul a load or not. Some use a dispatch service for a limited time while they learn the ropes and others continue with a service for years. It can take time to find the better paying loads. A dispatch service frees you to concentrate on driving while they find loads. If you are considering a dispatch service you need to decide what you want out of the service. There are some dispatch services that only find and book loads. Others may offer additional services such as doing your fuel taxes.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM

How do you find dispatch services? Is their a list of them somewhere? Is getloaded.com a dispatch service? How do you start to get contacts on your own if you're just starting out?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Getloaded is a load board. Some dispatch services advertise on some of the load boards such as getloaded or internettruckstop. I have also seen a few in some of the trucking papers from time to time. Still others may have something posted on truck stop boards. I don't know of a certain place where they advertise. I just did mine through word of mouth.